PC routers GONE ?
(09-20-2020, 03:56 PM)Admiral Wrote: Agree, late model ones really dropped in quality. I have two 690s that are 20 years old and they are still going strong.  I wouldn't buy any PC branded tools made in the last 6 years or so.  Won't be missed.

Mine is about 35 years old and was my only router for about half that time.
my d-handle PC router (693?) was purchased back in 1993/4.  Still going strong.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Just like Stanley, PC went down the tubes.

When I was a kid Black & Decker was a quality name.

I have an old BD drill my father had must be 60 years old.  All metal I'm scared as hell to use it I remember it would bite you standing on concrete.
Quote:I have no earthly idea why I would want another Porter Cable router with so many better options out there.

I suspect you're not alone, and that's most of the reason they are going away.
So, do I buy a replacement 7518 router for my lift now and put it on the shelf, or is there a size compatible 3HP (ummm... right) multi-speed router from another manufacturer that will slide into my PRL lift? I don't want to go back to a 2hp class router in the lift....

I've replaced the brushes in the existing 7518, which helped a lot, but it still doesn't seem as strong as I recalled it being when newer while spinning large panel raising bits.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
The Milwaukee 5625 will fit in that lift, though I think you'll need a different clamp. I changed mine from a 7518 to a 5625 (this was a few years ago) and bought the replacement piece from Woodpecker.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(09-23-2020, 12:53 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: So, do I buy a replacement 7518 router for my lift now and put it on the shelf, or is there a size compatible 3HP (ummm... right) multi-speed router from another manufacturer that will slide into my PRL lift?   I don't want to go back to a 2hp class router in the lift....

I've replaced the brushes in the existing 7518, which helped a lot, but it still doesn't seem as strong as I recalled it being when newer while spinning large panel raising bits.

Here is one. I have no idea if it's worth crap. I think there are other sources for probably the same motor/collet.

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...tor_anchor
I wrote to PC customer support about 2 weeks ago. No answer. Till today.

Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(09-20-2020, 09:19 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: yea buddy,  but what happens when you click the buy now balloon on the PC site and choose one of the retailers ?   

devil is in the details, not the shiny click bait.    
Slap

https://www.grainger.com/product/PORTER-...uter-4YU17

I can get a 690 from Amazon in two days for close to $400.    Think I'll get a pair of them just in case 
Rolleyes

You seem to have some cranky ol wuss built in.
Raised

All I posted was links showing that a select few pc routers are still available.
Buy what you want, or not. I -do-not-care.

I have over 20 pc routers to get me through the rest of my life..
Yes, I am a pc fan, but not of the newer stuff when Stanley screwed the pooch.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-03-2020, 07:37 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: You seem to have some cranky ol wuss built in.
Raised

All I posted was links showing that a select few pc routers are still available.
Buy what you want, or not. I -do-not-care.

I have over 20 pc routers to get me through the rest of my life..
Yes, I am a pc fan, but not of the newer stuff when Stanley screwed the pooch.

P-C router issues predate Stanley. I also look at who bought who when trying to figure out which brands will survive and which brands will disappear. Then I look at the retail prices of B&D/DeWalt routers compared to prices of equivalent P-C routers and yup, P-C isn't priced competitively. I think I know which brand routers SB&D wants to survive.