cutting and backing a beveled mirror
I have a 60"x18"x1/8" piece of beveled edge mirror that I want to cut down to 44" in length. 

I've cut glass before several times, easy,but never a piece with a beveled edge..  just want to make sure that bevel isn't going to throw me for a loop..  still just one hard pass up the beveled edge with the cutter or do I need to do anything different?

second - recommendations for what adhesive to use to adhere it to a piece of 1/8" plywood, mostly to ensure it holds together if it breaks?
I'd bring it to you local glass store.

Wouldn't they have to re-bevel it at the cut anyway?

Even if you aren't going to re-bevel, I'd still have them do it.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(09-30-2020, 01:14 PM)barnowl Wrote: I'd bring it to you local glass store.

Wouldn't they have to re-bevel it at the cut anyway?

Even if you aren't going to re-bevel, I'd still have them do it.

no re-bevel I plan to put it in a wooden frame I made that will hide the remaining bevels
No help with cutting but when framing a mirror, paint the cut edges black. Even a black permanent marker works. The cut edge tends to be visible as it reflects in the mirror. Painting it black eliminates that. Learned this trick from a picture framer.
(09-30-2020, 10:54 PM)WoodCzech Wrote: No help with cutting but when framing a mirror, paint the cut edges black.  Even a black permanent marker works.  The cut edge tends to be visible as it reflects in the mirror.  Painting it black eliminates that.  Learned this trick from a picture framer.

I was a picture framer too.  I agree.  A wider rabbet will also address this.  It is only obvious when looking at the mirror at an angle.

If I were to cut the beveled mirror I would take my angle grinder and put on a very think ceramic tile disc.  I would make a notch in the bevel just deep enough to reach into the flat section.  Then I would cut the glass in the normal manner.

NOTE:  I have never tried this, but I would be fine doing so in the future.  Go slow with the angle grinder.  It is about 20 seconds worth of grinding.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-01-2020, 07:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: I was a picture framer too.  I agree.  A wider rabbet will also address this.  It is only obvious when looking at the mirror at an angle.

If I were to cut the beveled mirror I would take my angle grinder and put on a very think ceramic tile disc.  I would make a notch in the bevel just deep enough to reach into the flat section.  Then I would cut the glass in the normal manner.

NOTE:  I have never tried this, but I would be fine doing so in the future.  Go slow with the angle grinder.  It is about 20 seconds worth of grinding.

Interesting, thanks.

What about scoring the back-side where it's flat all the way across?
(10-01-2020, 07:44 AM)mound Wrote: Interesting, thanks.

What about scoring the back-side where it's flat all the way across?
I considered that idea too.  But was uncertain about how cleanly it would break.  I would test grind the bevel in an area that would not be included in the finished product. 

I have a wall mounted Fletcher-Terry glass cutter, so my "skill" level is largely dependent upon the equipment I have (which is very good).  I have little experience cutting outside that equipment.
[Image: UFEC1194_large.jpg]
Aren't belveled mirrors by definition tempered glass?

If so, you can't cut it yourself take it to a glass place.
(10-01-2020, 10:37 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Aren't belveled mirrors by definition tempered glass?

If so, you can't cut it yourself take it to a glass place.

good question! I have no idea
(10-01-2020, 01:08 PM)mound Wrote: good question! I have no idea

I don't know if all beveled mirrors are made from tempered glass, but certainly some are.  I cannot imagine why it would have to be tempered.

https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/oval-mirrors

Add depth and spaciousness to a room with a mirror created by Dulles Glass & Mirror. This oval mirror features a carefully crafted 1-inch polished bevel. Each mirror is made of durable annealed glass with safety backing.