Help me out with strainers
The product I'm spraying is Varethane WB poly.  The only strainers I have are 190 & it will not even go through.

It will spray undiluted through a 1.3mm tip.  I'm wondering if this advisable or should I do a nominal 10% thinning anyway?

The reason I ask is I got excellent results the first day, thinned 20%.  But yesterday I sprayed another piece un-thinned and was not happy to see orange peel.  But, the humidity was also much higher.
(10-05-2020, 09:36 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: The product I'm spraying is Varethane WB poly.  The only strainers I have are 190 & it will not even go through.

It will spray undiluted through a 1.3mm tip.  I'm wondering if this advisable or should I do a nominal 10% thinning anyway?

The reason I ask is I got excellent results the first day, thinned 20%.  But yesterday I sprayed another piece un-thinned and was not happy to see orange peel.  But, the humidity was also much higher.

If you are using a gravity feed gun the viscosity needs to be around 20 seconds #4 Ford cup for a 1.3 mm N/N set.  If you don't have a #4 Ford cup you can buy a plastic version on Amazon or around $6. 

I now have a 3M PPS cup system on my gun which has a built in strainer.  When I used a gravity feed gun I used 110 - 120 mesh cone filters from HF to strain the finish going into the cup.  

John
(10-05-2020, 10:12 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you are using a gravity feed gun the viscosity needs to be around 20 seconds #4 Ford cup for a 1.3 mm N/N set.  If you don't have a #4 Ford cup you can buy a plastic version on Amazon or around $6. 

I now have a 3M PPS cup system on my gun which has a built in strainer.  When I used a gravity feed gun I used 110 - 120 mesh cone filters from HF to strain the finish going into the cup.  

John

I should have mentioned I'm using a turbine sprayer (Sprayport 3 stage).

I have been thinning to 30 seconds, which required almost 30% thinning on the Varethane.  I also use a gravity HVLP but not so much anymore. I got used to that, but it seems the Sprayport requires less thinning with the same 1.3 tip (?)

So is it wise to thin even if the gun will spray the product unthinned?
(10-05-2020, 10:16 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I should have mentioned I'm using a turbine sprayer (Sprayport 3 stage).

I have been thinning to 30 seconds, which required almost 30% thinning on the Varethane.  I also use a gravity HVLP but not so much anymore.  I got used to that, but it seems the Sprayport requires less thinning with the same 1.3 tip (?)

I'd get some other strainers and give it a go. Always a good idea to strain.

I usually just buy the ones from HF (coupons are fewer and further between these days) though.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=paint%20strainer

I keep both sizes around but I think I use more of the finer ones.

Push comes to shove, just some cheese cloth is better than nothing.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
deleted (seventeen).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-05-2020, 10:16 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I should have mentioned I'm using a turbine sprayer (Sprayport 3 stage).

I have been thinning to 30 seconds, which required almost 30% thinning on the Varethane.  I also use a gravity HVLP but not so much anymore.  I got used to that, but it seems the Sprayport requires less thinning with the same 1.3 tip (?)

If you are having to thin it 30% you need to get a larger N/N set.  Thinning a WB product that much can lead to all kinds of problems.  Even 20% is risky.  

John
(10-06-2020, 03:20 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you are having to thin it 30% you need to get a larger N/N set.  Thinning a WB product that much can lead to all kinds of problems.  Even 20% is risky.  

John

Check on that.  It dawned on my the can was a couple years old and maybe the product thickened?

Regardless, I switched over to a couple coats of EM2000 and it came out fine.