For fans of James Krenov
There's a new video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2W10JtdPU4

Brendan Gaffney has just written a book about the life of James Krenov and in this video Brendan gives a presentation about his research.  He goes into detail about Krenov's early life and artistic influences.  Lots of photos as well.

This video is 1.5 hours long!

Mike
(10-09-2020, 04:17 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: There's a new video on YouTube

Brendan Gaffney has just written a book about the life of James Krenov and in this video Brendan gives a presentation about his research.  He goes into detail about Krenov's early life and artistic influences.  Lots of photos as well.

Mike

Thank you. -Howard
Mike - 

Thanks for the link. I am a big Krenov fan. I have a short bio of JK on my web-site. I may have to get the book to fact check what I wrote!

Below is my attempt/interpretation/homage to a Krenov Cabinet on Stand. I would love to see any that others have made!

Materials: Teak, Black Acacia, Spalted Poplar and Wenge

Nice cabinet, Don.  I like the matched grain on the drawer fronts.

Phil
(10-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Don_M Wrote: Mike - 

Thanks for the link. I am a big Krenov fan. I have a short bio of JK on my web-site. I may have to get the book to fact check what I wrote!

Below is my attempt/interpretation/homage to a Krenov Cabinet on Stand. I would love to see any that others have made!

Materials: Teak, Black Acacia, Spalted Poplar and Wenge

That's beautiful!  You can see the Krenov influence.
Thanks Phil,

The drawer fronts were from a single piece of Black Acacia and although not obvious from the photo are actually convex in shape. The drawer case construction is a bit more complicated  as they are supported by internal sets of runners/kickers/rails that sit behind and are hidden by the drawer fronts which gives the illusion the drawers  sit or float on themselves (another, as I understand, JK technique)
here's a piece i did in the krenov style - i met him in 2002 when i attended the college of the redwoods wwing school. he wasn't teaching but would walk through the shop and chat with people - and a few times gather everyone to talk about his approach on a cabinet the was currently working on.
the wood is aniegre - not sure why the color shift between top & bottom - not there in real life
jerry

(10-09-2020, 04:17 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: There's a new video on YouTube

Mike

I am a huge fan of Krenovs work and designs.

Here is my contribution in curly Koa:

Attached Files Image(s)

John

Chisel And Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture
john626fry@gmail.com

(10-11-2020, 11:05 PM)John Fry Wrote: I am a huge fan of Krenovs work and designs.

Here is my contribution in curly Koa:

Those doors are amazing!

Mike
Impressive Krenov-inspired builds!

I admire Krenov's but mostly his wall cabinets...I'm not a fan of the stands at all.

Of his smaller pieces, I like the Jewelry box of Andaman padouk and the Ceramic pieces box he was commissioned to make for the late King Gustav of Sweden most.

Simon