plant holding shelf unit
we currently have a 48" wide metal grid shelf in our family room holding our plants. And in the spring, it holds our starter plants.  I would like to make a wood replacement, but I like having the shelves themselves made out of metal. Apparently there is such a thing as stainless lath, but it isn't easily available. Looked on McMaster and it's out of my budget.  I thought about cutting up one of the chrome shelves, but I'm not sure how that would work. I might settle for wire shelves, since I can cut that myself.

Anyone do anything similar?
(10-10-2020, 04:32 PM)EricU Wrote: we currently have a 48" wide metal grid shelf in our family room holding our plants. And in the spring, it holds our starter plants.  I would like to make a wood replacement, but I like having the shelves themselves made out of metal. Apparently there is such a thing as stainless lath, but it isn't easily available. Looked on McMaster and it's out of my budget.  I thought about cutting up one of the chrome shelves, but I'm not sure how that would work. I might settle for wire shelves, since I can cut that myself.

If you are going to use metal shelves, can you cut the ones from your current stand and incorporate them into the new one?

--------------
See ya later,
Bill
The current shelf has a place to go.  So I'm looking for something new
Wink 
You can look on Google for either:

Woven wire fabric

or

Woven wire mesh

You will find various gages of wire, various siize of openings and a choice of material.  Bronze or stainless steel would work well, as would nylon or PET clad mesh.  Avoid the vinyl coated mesh as the coating separates from the wire very easily.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...+wire+mesh

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...CAw&uact=5

Direct Metals sells all of these, but I don't know if they sell small quantities.  If not, ask if they have a re-seller that does. 

They have an online catalog.

https://www.directmetals.com/products/wi...wire-mesh/

Also consider perforated sheets, and expanded metal.  Note that expanded metal can be difficult to cut and will result in razor sharp barbs that will have to be addressed.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Woven wire mesh looks like a winner.  I looked at expanded metal first, that stuff is very expensive in stainless.
(10-15-2020, 06:17 AM)EricU Wrote: Woven wire mesh looks like a winner.  I looked at expanded metal first, that stuff is very expensive in stainless.

Keep an eye on eBay, CL or even Letgo/Offerup.
You can find plastic coated fence mesh (welded) in several gages.  This is not a very structural item, and it requires firm attachment to the frame for strength.  But it is cheap.  My main beef is I was only able to find it in green and I did not like the color.

Also, deer mesh (plastic mesh) is very cheap and easy to handle.  It too is not structural and needs a robust frame to attach to.

https://www.industrialnetting.com/xv1020...tting.html[Image: xv1020_base_384x384.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-10-2020, 04:32 PM)EricU Wrote: we currently have a 48" wide metal grid shelf in our family room holding our plants. And in the spring, it holds our starter plants.  I would like to make a wood replacement, but I like having the shelves themselves made out of metal. Apparently there is such a thing as stainless lath, but it isn't easily available. Looked on McMaster and it's out of my budget.  I thought about cutting up one of the chrome shelves, but I'm not sure how that would work. I might settle for wire shelves, since I can cut that myself.

In the greenhouse, Wire Closet Shelves - Closet Shelves - The Home Depot  for the light that goes through where the pots/trays ain't.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.