How do you clean your saw blades
I think my freud general purpose blade needs to be cleaned. I was wonder if you guys have those fancy pans from rockler or woodcraft that has the built in blade holder. Or do you just use a new oil pan to clean off the blades. Also what do you find works the best to clean the blades and help with rust/build up
Any old plastic wash basin and Simple Green.

Most of my blades are teflon-coated, so rust is not an issue.
(10-14-2020, 01:11 PM)WxMan Wrote: Any old plastic wash basin and Simple Green.

Most of my blades are teflon-coated, so rust is not an issue.

How long do you let it sit in the simple green. I have seen that letting it sit overnight in simple green can cause issue
Spray/bathe in shallow tray with simple green for a 5-10 minutes. Lightly scrub with nylon brush (tooth brush, etc). Dry off simple green from the blade surfaces. Spray light coat of WD-40 onto blade and wipe off excess. Done.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(10-14-2020, 01:25 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Spray/bathe in shallow tray with simple green for a 5-10 minutes. Lightly scrub with nylon brush (tooth brush, etc). Dry off simple green from the blade surfaces. Spray light coat of WD-40 onto blade and wipe off excess. Done.

This. You can go a few days with Simple Green. I forgot blades in my designated cleaning bin for two years and they were pretty rusty. Otherwise, a short soak and a scrub with a nylon brush works wonders to get the pitch off. I spray them with CLR after.
I use Lestoil because my bride has it in the closet. Soak with hot water solution for 15 min, brush, squeaky clean. Great stuff.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Many years ago, I bought a spray bottle of blade cleaner at Rockler or Woodcraft.  Can't recall which place.  Anyway, I just lay it on an old towel and spray it on one side.  Let it set a few minutes, then do the other side and rinse it off.  I've never had the need to immerse and soak the blade in a pan.  

It takes very little to clean the blade.  I've been using the same bottle for years and I probably still have 75% of it left.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

"I've never had the need to immerse and soak the blade in a pan."

I don't think there is a "need" either but it does help contain the cleaning solution for cleaning multiple blades and it helps with the clean-up after. HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
soak in simple green for 15+- minutes. use a soft brass brush to clean the teeth - rinse of with water - blow the the water off with air compressor - dry with a towel
jerry
I use the bottom of a five gallon bucket I cut to about 1" tall on the inside lip. It is the perfect size and has a built in crown that keeps the teeth off the bottom of the bucket.
I use hot water mixed with a strong dose of simple green for the solvent. Soak for a couple of minutes and use a brass brush. Easy peezy. Been doing it this way for years. Some of my blades are on their fourth sharpening at least. Frued and Lietz brands. I see no deterioration of the carbide or brazing.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!