More Awl turning
Turned another batch of awls recently. I don't consider myself a great turner and I am certainly unorthodox in my methods. However I turn a lot of what I turn awls, chisel handles, plane knobs, etc. and I'm getting to be a more efficient excavator of wood. These awls have a feature that allows for the removal of the blade for re-grinding/tipping. 

Ron

[Image: diwawloct29.jpg]

[Image: meoct29.jpg]

[Image: cmoct29.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
(10-31-2020, 12:30 PM)RonCould you share how your " feature that allows for the removal of the blade for re-grinding/tipping" is done?
Thanks
Bob

Ron Brese Wrote:
Turned another batch of awls recently. I don't consider myself a great turner and I am certainly  unorthodox in my methods. However I turn a lot of what I turn awls, chisel handles, plane knobs, etc. and I'm getting to be a more efficient excavator of wood. These awls have a feature that allows for the removal of the blade for re-grinding/tipping. 

Ron

[Image: diwawloct29.jpg]

[Image: meoct29.jpg]

[Image: cmoct29.jpg]
The shank of the blade is a close tolerance fit inside the ferrule and the awl cap. There is a 6-32 set screw whose tip engages a notch that is milled into the shank. Once the set screw is tightened the shank can not move. In the lower picture you see that I supply the necessary tool and an extra fastener with these. If you drop a 6-32 x 3/16 set screw they can be quite difficult to locate.

Ron

[Image: awl8-2.jpg]

[Image: awl2-2.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Thanks Ron

(11-01-2020, 09:10 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: The shank of the blade is a close tolerance fit inside the ferrule and the awl cap. There is a 6-32 set screw whose tip engages a notch that is milled into the shank. Once the set screw is tightened the shank can not move. In the lower picture you see that I supply the necessary tool and an extra fastener with these. If you drop a 6-32 x 3/16 set screw they can be quite difficult to locate.

Ron

[Image: awl8-2.jpg]

[Image: awl2-2.jpg]
Beautiful work Ron!
Beautiful awls Ron 
Yes
I would have expected nothing less 
Cool
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Awl shucks! Them ain't bad!

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Beautiful work Ron!

Are you using a drill bit for a "blade"
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(10-31-2020, 12:30 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: I don't consider myself a great turner...

Maybe not great, but you're not half-bad...
Yes

Beautiful tools, Ron!

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."