Fish Tank Stand
So LOML just needed a fish tank in the office. So me being the congenial husband I agree (reluctantly) and we go picked up a 50 gal tank that she found on the internet and got it for $150 (not bad). However, it turned out to be Bubba's place. That's not to important. Back to the stand, it came directly from Bubba's Factory of Fine Furniture. Frame made from construction 2 X 4's, the top and inside shelf made from particle board which I hate. The top had varnish on it to supposedly protect from moisture. The outer skin of the cabinet was 1/4' ply (okay) but the front was pieced together around the door openings with about 6 pieces of ply. I should have just left there with the tank and leave everything else behind. They had some filters in there that they said you never have to change (which they obviously never did in over a year).  

When we got home LOML had me throw away all of the things inside the tank to include the gravel, filters and everything else. I kept the 2 X4 frame and inside shelf but replaced everything else. Turner out pretty good.

I just found this amusing. If this offends anyone, I'm sorry, that isn't my intent. 

Oh, BTW the side walk is breaking up pretty badly due to sof grounds. I can only imagine what the foundation of the house is like.

I understand I am extremely blessed to be able to live a better lifestyle that many other people. Thank God!

Jim
Jim
I've seen a lot of terrible fish tank stands. The thing is, to purchase one they are crazy expensive and aren't much better that what you got.
Signature
(11-18-2020, 09:44 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: So LOML just needed a fish tank in the office. So me being the congenial husband I agree (reluctantly) and we go picked up a 50 gal tank that she found on the internet and got it for $150 (not bad). However, it turned out to be Bubba's place. That's not to important. Back to the stand, it came directly from Bubba's Factory of Fine Furniture. Frame made from construction 2 X 4's, the top and inside shelf made from particle board which I hate. The top had varnish on it to supposedly protect from moisture. The outer skin of the cabinet was 1/4' ply (okay) but the front was pieced together around the door openings with about 6 pieces of ply. I should have just left there with the tank and leave everything else behind. They had some filters in there that they said you never have to change (which they obviously never did in over a year).  

When we got home LOML had me throw away all of the things inside the tank to include the gravel, filters and everything else. I kept the 2 X4 frame and inside shelf but replaced everything else. Turner out pretty good.

I just found this amusing. If this offends anyone, I'm sorry, that isn't my intent. 

Oh, BTW the side walk is breaking up pretty badly due to sof grounds. I can only imagine what the foundation of the house is like.

I understand I am extremely blessed to be able to live a better lifestyle that many other people. Thank God!

Jim

Large fish tanks should be kept on the floor. It makes it much easier to cast into them while relaxing in your recliner. 
Smile

---
See ya later,
Bill
I learned as a teenager, fish tanks are like boats. You can buy them used pretty in expensively, but to make them look nice and function well, it takes a lot more money.
John
(11-18-2020, 07:57 PM)Bill_de Wrote: Large fish tanks should be kept on the floor. It makes it much easier to cast into them while relaxing in your recliner. 
Smile

---

It's more fun for the cats as well 
Big Grin
Jim
I've seen office furniture make from vinyl-covered particle board and probably is serviceable as long as it is for a home office and the furniture never gets moved.  But it is basically "junk".

I've seen fish tanks with similar construction methods. 

A step up is the fish tanks that are built like store displays.  Cheap but sturdy.

And then there are the ones built like various grades of kitchen cabinets ranging from builder grade to near-furniture quality. 

I cannot imagine that many fish tanks are displayed on real quality furniture--I may be wrong but I don't think so.

And then there are the ones built from welded tubular steel.  Not really furniture, but robust build quality and very durable.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a friend with a salt water tank. I don't recall the size, but I think it is larger than 50 gal.  He had more than one leak that was the result of poorly squared and leveled furniture that allowed the water to put additional stress on the tank joints causing the seals to fail (flooding the room the tank was in in the process).  He finally got a good stand that properly supported the tank and he hasn't had any of those issues since. Listening to him talk about the tank, there are plenty of other things to kill your fish. You don't need the tank failing.
(11-20-2020, 12:57 PM)stav Wrote: I have a friend with a salt water tank. I don't recall the size, but I think it is larger than 50 gal.  He had more than one leak that was the result of poorly squared and leveled furniture that allowed the water to put additional stress on the tank joints causing the seals to fail (flooding the room the tank was in in the process).  He finally got a good stand that properly supported the tank and he hasn't had any of those issues since. Listening to him talk about the tank, there are plenty of other things to kill your fish. You don't need the tank failing.

Indeed there are a lot of other mistakes we aquarists make which can have negative outcomes.

Many people underestimate just how heavy even a smallish tank is.  Figure 10lbs per gallon, between water, gravel, rocks, and decor so even a small 10 gallon is 100lbs. 

There are 6 of em in my house, 3 on stands I've built, and 3 on commercial stands. 

Having a tank fail sucks.  Period.
My approach to fish tank stands is that they are "Construction" first, then you clad them with something that looks nice. Enough 2x4s with cross bracing or decent ply will hold up a truck, so you start with that. Once you know the thing wont fall over, then you can get fancy and clad it with nice panels / T&G or whatever fancy stuff you want. 

But you know the internal structure isn't going to fall over. 

MDF for a tank stand holding up 100 gal of water... What could possible go wrong? 

Actually my ~60 gal tank is sitting on a steel frame with a 3/4" ply top that I built with my late Father about 40 years ago. The tank is newer, but the rest is the original. I keep meaning to update it by cladding it with wood, but it hasn't happened yet. It was a basic "goldfish" tank for the kids, until Ms 8 overfed them. It's cleaned out now and being stocked with some easy care tropicals.
It’s been over 30 years since I raised salt water fish but I built out of 2x4 material and lots of it. Made sure it was level and the floor it sat on was flat and level. When it was strong enough I covered it with planking.

RonL