1" dowel 26? 27? mm Forstner?
I need a close slip fit for inserting 1" dowels into holes drilled with a Forstner bit. 1" bit is *just* too tight. 26mm is only .02" larger. 27mm is .06" larger.

Which would you use?
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-25-2020, 10:23 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I need a close slip fit for inserting 1" dowels into holes drilled with a Forstner bit.  1" bit is *just* too tight.  26mm is only .02" larger.  27mm is .06" larger.

Which would you use?

can you sand the dowel to provide a little breathing room?
will the dowel be receiving any finish prior to its final placement?
I recently built some Pikler climbing devices for our grandson, and like you, played around with the forstner bits til I found a happy medium. In my case, I had glue to keep everything fixed, not sliding...
That's exactly what I'm building, but am batching multiples so I'm looking for time saving steps.

No finish on the rungs. Sanding is time consuming and not exact.
Semper fi,
Brad

Have you tested for fit?  It is doubtful that the dowels is held to a tolerance of closer than ±0.010".  And the drills will probably have a tolerance of ± 0.001 - ± 0.002.  So a test fit is in order.

If you don't already have the bits, then go ahead and order a 1.00" bit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a 1" bit. As mentioned above the fit is *just* a bit to snug.

I'll order a 26 and 27mm bit and see which works best.
Semper fi,
Brad

Brad -

The 26 mm bit should work if your dowels are truly 1" (1" = 25.4 mm).  If you have the dowels in hand you could measure them and eliminate some of the guess work.

Phil
(11-25-2020, 05:55 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have a 1" bit.  As mentioned above the fit is *just* a bit to snug.

The dowels are probably not quite round and their size will vary slightly with moisture content changes unless you seal them.

If you measure the dowels with calipers (or dividers and a ruler), how much variation in the dowels do you find?

Do you already have all the dowels that you will use for the project?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-25-2020, 05:55 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have a 1" bit.  As mentioned above the fit is *just* a bit to snug.

There is one More option
MLCS has a 1-3/64" (26.6mm)  $ 8.95 with free shipping

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite...orsbit.htm
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
How about a smaller hole?

I've been making several of these this year. They seem to be popular.  I use 1-1/4" rods and drill a 1" hole.  I round the rod ends over on my table saw.  They fit nice and tight and give a cleaner look.

Attached Files Image(s)

Do you have a lathe?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.