Shop vac recommendations for DC?
Almost two years later and it died.  I should have bought the extended warranty!

Now to find another.
Semper fi,
Brad

So, did you use it as a straight shop vac, or did you make a mod to it?  

Well, I'm happy with my 19 year old Ridgid.  I use it like a traditional shop vac, mostly dry stuff, the occasional wet pick up.  I have a 20' flex hose on the front to reach all over the shop.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
big fan of ridgid for shop vacs too.  i've had 2 of 'em for a few years, and they're great.  
Yes
(11-04-2022, 08:12 AM)R Clark Wrote: So, did you use it as a straight shop vac, or did you make a mod to it?  

Well, I'm happy with my 19 year old Ridgid.  I use it like a traditional shop vac, mostly dry stuff, the occasional wet pick up.  I have a 20' flex hose on the front to reach all over the shop.

I never modded it.  Used it as DC for my ROS and spindle sanders.  If I were more diligent about cleaning the filter more it likely would have lived longer!
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-04-2022, 07:38 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Almost two years later and it died.  I should have bought the extended warranty!  Or a Fein.

Now to find another.  

John
(11-04-2022, 04:50 PM)jteneyck Wrote: John

Oh, agreed!

That will come, but after I get a Festool ROS and a spiral head for my planer.  I have a running list of tool upgrades as my sales fund them!
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-04-2022, 04:36 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I never modded it.  Used it as DC for my ROS and spindle sanders.  If I were more diligent about cleaning the filter more it likely would have lived longer!

(11-04-2022, 04:56 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Oh, agreed!

That will come, but after I get a Festool ROS and a spiral head for my planer.  I have a running list of tool upgrades as my sales fund them!

I hear you.  Same process for many of us.  A Fein is on my list as soon as the Cman dies.  It's been pretty tough though, even running for 4 or 5 hours straight on my CNC   

John
(11-04-2022, 04:59 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I hear you.  Same process for many of us.  A Fein is on my list as soon as the Cman dies.  It's been pretty tough though, even running for 4 or 5 hours straight on my CNC   

John

I have a small hand-held C-man vac.  Dang thing is LOUD.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(11-05-2022, 07:51 AM)R Clark Wrote: I have a small hand-held C-man vac.  Dang thing is LOUD.

So is my floor unit.  And that's one of the reasons I'm going to buy a Fein when it dies.  Much lower dB than most shopvacs.  

John
Quote:Almost two years later and it died.  I should have bought the extended warranty!

Not necessarily.  They tend to have too many exclusions and usually don't make financial sense.    Have you tested the turbine to make sure it's not just the switch ?   ShopVac is notorious for using cheap and crappy switches.

Quote:  If I were more diligent about cleaning the filter more it likely would have lived longer!

Perhaps, but see above - in which case it had no bearing.    Additionally , you shouldn't have to clean the pleated filter because you should be using the disposable bags.   If you do get a Fein or other premium dust extractor you'll really have no choice in the matter.