fastcap layout tape
Is anyone using the Fastcap layout tape for shelf pin hole drilling?  Any comments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1SR32vQQoc
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
That video is from 2008. I like to use pegboard and a router. Clean and accurate holes.
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
I have and use a Kreg shelf pin jig...pretty simple and almost fool proof...
I've used Rocklers jig and drills for numerous years now. Accurate, easy to use. It mimics pegboard.

Not a FastCap product fan
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-02-2020, 03:33 PM)brianwelch Wrote: I have and use a Kreg shelf pin jig...pretty simple and almost fool proof...

I have that jig too, but it creates quite a bit of tear-out and it is not really acceptable.  I bought another drill bit (5mm) but Kreg uses special bits with a 1/4" shank so that they can simply switch bits to change from 5mm to 1/4".  But it means that only Kreg bits will work for 5mm holes.  I can switch to 1/4" holes and use any bit I want and I may have to do that.

I have a CMT drilling template on order (with a drill bit holder and drill bit) and I will make a decision once I've tried the CMT devices.  The drilling device will handle both 5mm (shelf pin holes) and 8mm (dowel holes).  It is a spur bit and should make a cleaner hole than the one that came with the jig. 

I just looked on line and the current images are showing bits with outer spurs; mine does not have that and looks like a conventional drill bit.

[Image: eyJidWNrZXQiOiJ3ZWItbmluamEtaW1hZ2VzIiwi...E0NTMzYyJ9]
[Image: cmt-656-1-illustration-2.jpg]
(12-02-2020, 03:53 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've used Rocklers jig and drills for numerous years now. Accurate, easy to use. 

Same here.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Cooler, a brad point bit is a must.

Let me know how the CMT jig works out.  I’ve had the same experience with Rockler, after a lot of use I think the plastic is affected by heat/wear.
(12-04-2020, 06:25 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Cooler, a brad point bit is a must.

Let me know how the CMT jig works out.  I’ve had the same experience with Rockler, after a lot of use I think the plastic is affected by heat/wear.
I could not find the jig domestically.  I did find it on the German Amazon (Amazon.de).  I just got a notification that the drill holder and drill bit has shipped from Amazon, Spain.

The templates are still not shipped. My guess is that it will take a couple more weeks to arrive.  I will report once I have had a chance to use it.  The videos on line show it to be faster than a Domino (Festool) for sheet goods.  (Cheaper too). 

I don't build actual furniture.  I build high-specification cabinets that masquerade as furniture (most people see "furniture" when they look at my work, but it is built like cabinets).

I do have Joint Genie, and it works fine but it is slow.  I ordered that from Amazon.com but it shipped from England.  Quick service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3DCRNf11_w

I will write to Kreg and ask about the supplied drillbits.
(12-04-2020, 09:01 AM)Cooler Wrote: I could not find the jig domestically.  I did find it on the German Amazon (Amazon.de).  I just got a notification that the drill holder and drill bit has shipped from Amazon, Spain.

The templates are still not shipped. My guess is that it will take a couple more weeks to arrive.  I will report once I have had a chance to use it.  The videos on line show it to be faster than a Domino (Festool) for sheet goods.  (Cheaper too). 

I don't build actual furniture.  I build high-specification cabinets that masquerade as furniture (most people see "furniture" when they look at my work, but it is built like cabinets).

I do have Joint Genie, and it works fine but it is slow.  I ordered that from Amazon.com but it shipped from England.  Quick service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3DCRNf11_w

I will write to Kreg and ask about the supplied drillbits.

I wrote to Kreg as soon as I finished this post (around 9:30 a.m.)

At 10:17 a.m. they replied saying that they would send out a replacement drill bit.  Pretty impressively quick response.  I feel better about dealing with Kreg right now.
The drill mechanism and the 8mm bit arrived from Spain yesterday.  Nicely made and cuts clean holes. 

The templates are back ordered and have not yet arrived, so no chance to use this yet.

Note:  I ordered these from Amazon.de (Germany) but it shipped from Amazon of Spain.