Custom Dining Table
Grandson asked if I’d build a 7-foot dining table with leaves. “Sure,” I said, “Do you know what you want?” Much to my surprise he sent this pic of a farm table. All we know is what we see in this one photo. How the extension leaves are attached is my question.

Due to the heavy legs, I will not make breadboard ends. I plan to have the end aprons attached to a slider which can be pulled out. Then an 18-inch leaf can be placed on the slider. The slides should be hardwood at least 4 to 5 feet long. So when pulled out 22 inches, the slide would have lots of attachment to the under side of the table.
Any advice on how to build the slides? Any other suggestions are welcome. —Peter

Attached Files Image(s)

Peter,  I would ask for more photos to see what is going on,  not much I can tell from that one.  I did a tineye search to see if I could find something but did not.   A daughter of a friend asked to make a table and sent a photo so I could match the color, though like yours, the photo didn't show much.  I ended up making it and staining it , then did a tineye search,  found the photo she sent, and a bunch of other photos that showed it was  someone's DIY table with a plywood top, so it was pretty funny that I was trying to decide if the original table was cherry or some other wood.

I think you just need to decide how you want to make it expand.  Center leaf is one option - though the downside it that you need 2 to open or close if the legs are attached to the top  ( you don't if the legs are attached to a frame, like a pedestal, and the top slides on the pedestal).  Butterfly leaf is another option,  Ralph did a nice video on how to make one   https://www.woodcademy.com/season1  and the leaf stores in the table.

Another option is where the leaves store under the table, the top goes up, and the leaves extend out on cantilevers -  can't recall the name, but here is an example  https://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Grai...A4EALw_wcB

If you want to blow your mind,  search on expanding round tables,   some of them are just amazing, though certainly not what you should pursue unless you have a ton of time.
Don't know if its applicable to your current thinking for constructing this table but Kingpost Timberworks in NZ has a great youtube video series on a very hefty extension table going into quite a lot of detail into the mechanism. Maybe you could have the supports telescope from the middle of the table and then drop the end extensions onto the supports in their extended position. Located with some dowels/pins of some sort?

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syjg8yszGLk
You’ll need support rails that slide through notch in the apron.
Thank you for the suggestions. Turns out I will make a refectory table with extension leaves that lift out. This video shows one. Not the table I will make, but will make similar lift-out leaves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oq1hfJ3bjg
Not a bad idea. I have been looking for dining table extensions for my next table.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-03-2020, 05:46 PM)petertay15 Wrote: Grandson asked if I’d build a 7-foot dining table with leaves.  “Sure,” I said, “Do you know what you want?”  Much to my surprise he sent this pic of a farm table. All we know is what we see in this one photo.  How the extension leaves are attached is my question.

Due to the heavy legs, I will not make breadboard ends.  I plan to have the end aprons attached to a slider which can be pulled out.  Then an 18-inch leaf can be placed on the slider. The slides should be hardwood at least 4 to 5 feet long. So when pulled out 22 inches, the slide would have lots of attachment to the under side of the table.  
Any advice on how to build the slides?  Any other suggestions are welcome.  —Peter

To me that picture looks like the leaf on the left folds over the portion on the right, covering the tops of the legs when closed.
See ya later,
Bill
(12-04-2020, 05:17 PM)Bill_de Wrote: To me that picture looks like the leaf on the left folds over the portion on the right, covering the tops of the legs when closed.

You may be right. My guess was that it simply hinged down against the legs when not in use.

Looks like the OP has changed the design to removable center leaves. So figuring out the original table seems moot.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.