How long to air-dry cherry?
I have access to some 1" thick wide cherry boards. They've just been cut. How long will it take them to air dry? Should I do it outside or inside? Anything I should be wary of?
(12-15-2020, 08:56 AM)overland Wrote: I have access to some 1" thick wide cherry boards. They've just been cut. How long will it take them to air dry? Should I do it outside or inside? Anything I should be wary of?

inch a year rule of thumb, sticker it- good air flow, put a lot of weight on top, if outside make sure its well off the ground, you don't want ppb's, ants..., paint the ends, anchor seal or some paint

I had the opportunity to get some 15 inch wide 5/4 , 9 ft clear cherry this spring, 1.50 bf, done enough drying and getting to the point I can't lift this stuff anymore, I passed, It was very tempting but I just can't bring myself to lifting this stuff anymore.

One thing I did a few years ago that worked out very well was a few 2x4 on top and bottom with allthread to hold the stack together, use the weight of the stack to minimize warping and cupping. Like I said this worked out very well, the first time I tried drying I ended up with a lot of spageheti.
We could give you a better estimate of outside drying time, if we knew your location.  It will take much longer in Louisiana than in Arizona, for instance.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Sorry. I'm in Chicago
+1 timbor or boracare
If the bark is off there's little chance of bugs getting into it where you live.  Sealing the ends at this point is of little advantage.  You have to do it within three days after the logs are cut to length to be of any benefit to prevent checking. 

Wood just cut won't dry much now until March/April where you or I live.  That said, it's a great time to start the drying process as it will dry slowly which should minimize the chance of problems.  My experience is 4/4 wood takes about 4 months to AD in good weather.  I would guess your wood will be down to 14% or so on the inside by June.  The surface will show 14% or even less much sooner, but don't be fooled into thinking it's dry inside yet.  The only way to verify that is by a weigh sample or by cutting a board and checking the center with a moisture meter.  

John
(12-15-2020, 08:56 AM)overland Wrote: I have access to some 1" thick wide cherry boards. They've just been cut. How long will it take them to air dry? Should I do it outside or inside? Anything I should be wary of?

If you sticker indoors for the winter, in a heated space, you'll have useable wood come summer.  I generally turned the boards in my stickered stack in December, after starting them in September.  The RH in my warmed basement dips into the 20% range before starting the climb back to a summer 55.  I'm forty-six and change north latitude, so my heating season is five months plus. 

Meter or micro in the spring to get a moisture content before you work it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
It will dry faster and safer inside.  You might have some nice cherry, so why take a chance?

You should definitely get a moisture meter to track when the lumber has reached equilibrium. You cannot assume what the poster said "it will be ready by summer".

Where I am, 12-16% is equilibrium MC.  I need to move project lumber into a climate controlled room.

I'm going to build a kiln of some sort of kiln to speed up the process.
Yes, it will dry faster indoors, but it will not dry properly unless you manage the RH.  The RH needs to be > 75% from green until the MC gets down to 60% for most woods.  No indoor residential space will have a RH that high in the Winter.  Take a look at EBAC's or FPL's drying schedules.  Some woods like SYP, IIRC, can be dried w/o much regard for control of RH.  But every hardwood I know of requires pretty careful management of the RH to end up with lumber that's defect and stress free.  

If you want to dry green wood indoors it needs to go in a tent with a fan and dehumidifier, and heater if you want to accelerate the process.  In that confined space you can control the RH vs. MC and end up with usable lumber.  

John
i also start my lumber drying outdoors covered and properly sticker-ed
like John i stack outside at first usually for 3 or 4 months i find it is less apt to mold or sticker stain split and twist
inside an open building with air movement is maybe better if you have that choice i did at one time
once it has initially dried then it is much harder to ruin in a heated area
cherry is a wood that is easy to dry so good luck how ever you do it