Hardwoods - 99%
         Softwoods - 1 %

Other materials (metals or plastic) 1% of time

Preferences:
Floor model
1 hp +
Large table

Budget: $1500.00 ish

Whats a good DP in this range? Do you own it? If so would you buy it again?

Thanks,
Bud
I have the prior iteration of this Jet and would buy it again, fits your specs with the exception of it has a 3/4hp motor, which has never been an issue with me.

https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/17-drill-press/716300
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I also have a 17" Jet. Would not hesitate to buy another.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have an old 1940’s Walker Turner DP that I restored. There are some quirky things the did when the built them but definitely a work horse. And will last a life time.
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
NOVA  ?

very good drill press, and on sale, with a coupon - in budget.   Bench model well under.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBAIQ6iq2A
I purchased a Nova Voyager about 18 months ago. Very happy.

2 hp (into 240v), variable speed 250 - 5000 rpm, onboard computer that does more than one could ever imagine. Amazing!

[Image: DP12a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-20-2020, 12:17 PM)efmrrt Wrote: Upgrading Drill Press - Suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my drill press. Here's my specs: 
Woodworking 99% of time
         Hardwoods - 99%
         Softwoods - 1 %

Other materials (metals or plastic) 1% of time

Preferences:
Floor model
1 hp +
Large table

Budget: $1500.00 ish

Whats a good DP in this range? Do you own it? If so would you buy it again?

Thanks,
Bud

I upgraded a 15" Craftsman to this 18" Delta a few years back. The 3/4 hp might not be enough for you, but has not been a hindrance for me. The table is designed for woodworkers.

Delta 18 in. Floor Standing Drill Press with Worklight, Laser and 16-Speeds-18-900L - The Home Depot

----
See ya later,
Bill
HP is not really needed on a drill press. The bigger bits that require more power are supposed to run slower. The drill press has a variable ratio drive; either belts or gears. When the rpms are lowered the torque is multiplied.
You do not mention one of the most needed specifications which is quill travel. Try to find one with 5" or more of travel.
Another specification to look for is lowest RPM. Some drill presses do not turn slow enough to run large bits without overheating the edges and dulling them.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(12-21-2020, 08:20 AM)KyleD Wrote: HP is not really needed on a drill press. 

Beat me to it.  I bought my radial arm DP new in the 70's, and it's had either an antique 1/3 hp, or more recently a throwaway 1/2 hp furnace blower motor on it.  It didn't have a power problem even drilling 1/2" holes in a bunch of angle iron, though of course I was stepping up in bit sizes.

That's not to say the OP doesn't want or need more than that, but I just don't put a lot of stock in spindle power on a non-production drilling machine.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"