Woodpecker Over Priced?
(12-30-2020, 08:58 PM)jeffss Wrote: Thanks. Checked them out and looks good. Have a 6", 12" and 24" coming.  Prices more in my range.

You may want to get some replacement pins, everytime I droped a square the pin broke, other then that there dead on accurate.
A few other brands to consider:

Shinwa (Japanese - sold by Lee Valley)
Veritas (Lee Valley's own brand)
Used Starrett
Used Brown & Sharp

While they are fairly inexpensive, General Tools makes some items that are decent quality, but not necessarily as durable or as accurate as the other brands mentioned. Rule of thumb (pun intended) is to use the same ruler for the entire project. Or, as Krenov taught, measure once and then all other parts are sized to fit. Story sticks and a marking tool are your friend.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have a few Woodpecker tools, and recognize the material they are made from, treating them accordingly. I absolutely love the 851 try square. The red anodizing is nice in that it lets you quickly locate where you might have laid a tool down.

With that said, I have far more tools than most, with many duplicates (hey, I'm 68 and have been at this stuff since I was in my teens, plus I can readily afford my toys, with woodworking being one of my cheaper hobbies). I certainly do not think they are overpriced.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(12-31-2020, 01:10 PM)Tony Z Wrote: ... with woodworking being one of my cheaper hobbies).

My brother's hobby is in trying speedy cars. Anything over 5 sec to get from 0 to 60 is despised by him. His latest toy is an Acura NSX which had a waiting time when he ordered it. One day he was in my shop, and I was showing him a premium toy. Why would anyone spend money like that on a metal object? he chided.

Simon
Ebay has china made knockoffs of woodpecker and incra tools
Banggood website shows how extensive the number of knockoffs are.
Banggood and ebay have a "hand shoulder plane" for about $20 that looks like a recent woodpecker release EZ edge easing plane selling for $150
My .02
Karl

From what I've seen (and used) Nicholls made a very nice "Framer's" square.....

Not sure what my Grandfather paid for this.....

seems that red paint is a bit over-priced to me.....maybe IF they skipped the powder coating costs?
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-02-2021, 11:16 AM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: Ebay has china made knockoffs of woodpecker and incra tools
Banggood website shows how extensive the number of knockoffs are.
Banggood and ebay have a "hand shoulder plane" for about $20 that looks like a recent woodpecker release EZ edge easing plane selling for $150

I saw a YouTube video comparing the Woodpecker Paolini 6" rule to a knock-off rule. The Woodpecker is more costly, though how much was not disclosed, but it was inferred not quite twice as much.

From the comparison, there were several features missing on the knock-off, that I would view as significant. Further, at the end of the video, the author stated that Woodpecker sent him the rule for review, whereas he had to purchase the knock-off. In spite of having to purchase the knock-off, he stated he would give away the knock-off and keep (or did he say purchase another) of the Woodpecker.

I will add, that the features missing on the knock-off, could easily be remedied.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Woodpecker is expensive. Some of their tools are worth it, some are not. It depends on your needs and if there is a less expensive substitute.

I'll admit, I have some, and have been satisfied with their quality.

I do my best not to buy a knock off, and I have no place for anything made by "Wood River" in my shop.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Many years ago, I bought a PRL from Woodpecker - still have it and use it. At the time I spoke with a salesman who was quite helpful and since has become an executive with the company. Last year I was considering another lift and had a few questions about a router plate I had purchased from them also many years earlier (NOS) and decided to give them a call. Couldn't get past the first tier of phone answerer. Asked to speak with someone in Tech Support - no luck. Left a message for the guy I had dealt with earlier and never got a callback. I'm done with Woodpecker.

I've said it here before and I'll say it again, "People buy from people they like." I had made a good connection at Incra with one of their long-time managers who was quite helpful. I was going to use one of their older dovetail jigs I had bought some time ago to make 20 shop drawers. He could not have been more accommodating and patient. I wound up buying a Mast-R-Lift from them and couldn't be more pleased. My measuring needs possibly are not as precise as some others here, but I get by. I've felt for some time now that Woodpecker tools were generally overpriced. Poor CS sealed the deal.

Lee Valley sets the standard for CS IMO. Between them and Incra I can easily find what I need.

Doug