RIP Phil Lowe
RIP!!!

The woodworking community has lost one of its giants with the passing of Philip C. Lowe. He was a consummate craftsman and former instructor and head of the furniture making program at North Bennet Street School in Boston, and later at his own school, The Furniture Institute of Massachusetts.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Really?  He passed?????

We used to live in Beverly, MA and I visited his shop.  Helluva nice guy!!

This is so sad....
Dumber than I appear
In fact, the 2 bookcases I built about 20+ years ago were modeled on ones he had in an issue of FWW....
Dumber than I appear
Sorry to hear that. Unlike the current breed of flashy, style over substance, money-minded or clicks-oriented video makers, Phil delivered his material just like one woodworker (more experienced, of course) to another. Not as a marketer or snake oil salesman.

Simon
I never had the pleasure of meeting Phil, but I sure learned a lot from him reading his articles in FWW.  He always came across as the consummate craftsman with a respect for traditional methods of work.

John
Wow, what a loss.  

I enjoyed his many articles, visited his shop a time or two and randomly encountered him a small handful of times.

A real class act.  So skilled, but so humble, and so willing to help.

Rest in Peace Phil.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
He had cancer. Aspen Golann told me at a class I attended in November.

IIRC, it was either lymphoma or leukemia.

I never met him, but I enjoyed his articles and videos on FWW. I am told he was a talented, yet humble man.

We have lost a true artist.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Phil Lowe and Charles Neil are two people who have impacted my ww'ing the most.

Funny I just came across this old DVD of Phil Lowe he must have been in his 30's.  Think I'll watch it again...........