Gas Logs
I have a setup for natural gas logs in my new-to-me house.  I get the setup.  Valve beside the fire place, then a knob on the logs to control the size of the flame.  

We already have central heat to maintain temperature.  The gas logs would be more of a "feel" thing.  Like when it's in the 20s outside, or when it's snowing (like today!), or maybe some special occasion.  In other words, limited use of the gas logs.  

Outside of a carbon monoxide detector, is there anything else to these things?  They seem to me like an open flame on the stove, or maybe a gas grill (obviously the gas grill is outside though).  

I don't want to die by carbon monoxide poisoning or by blowing the house up.  Anything else to know about these gas logs?
We ended up with one when we moved. Ours is a sealed combustion unit. I would guess if yours is not you would want to keep the doors closed. The venting should not be a problem unless maybe it was converted from wood and that had restricted the chimney. carbon monoxide detector should be used if there are any gas anythings in the house. they are code in all new construction here. They are no where near as efficient as a high eficiency furnace. We use ours about like you expect to. last Feb in Wisconsin ours did keep an 1900 sq. foot ranch warm for 48 hors when our furnace died. Just put a box fan to direct some of the heat toward the bedrooms, and it worked better than I thought it would.
(01-11-2021, 01:07 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: I have a setup for natural gas logs in my new-to-me house.  I get the setup.  Valve beside the fire place, then a knob on the logs to control the size of the flame.  

We already have central heat to maintain temperature.  The gas logs would be more of a "feel" thing.  Like when it's in the 20s outside, or when it's snowing (like today!), or maybe some special occasion.  In other words, limited use of the gas logs.  

Outside of a carbon monoxide detector, is there anything else to these things?  They seem to me like an open flame on the stove, or maybe a gas grill (obviously the gas grill is outside though).  

I don't want to die by carbon monoxide poisoning or by blowing the house up.  Anything else to know about these gas logs?

There are vented and ventless log sets. #1 thing is figure out which you have (or which kind you want if you don't have the logs yet) In theory you don't need to open the flue for a ventless log. You can always open the flue on a ventless log if you are in doubt (assuming you already have the logs). Ventless put out more heat, vented look more realistic (or so they say). Don't burn the logs with glass doors closed (if your fireplace has glass doors). If you're going to buy logs, the good ones are pretty pricey. I can't really tell the difference myself other that the marketing with the high end units say the burners last longer and the logs look more real. Can't tell you with real-world experience as I've been shopping for a log set for a while and now that I pull the trigger they are back-ordered until Feb. 

I can say I've been running a ventless heater (essentially same thing as gas log) in my detached shop for many years now and never had any problems with moisture, etc. I do run a CO and gas alarm in the garage just in case and will have CO alarm in house as soon as my fireplace logs get installed.
There is no chimney. Gas log apparatus is already installed. Left by the previous home owner. Front is covered up by some sliding chain mail curtains.
Vent Free gas log fireplaces are a very bad idea.  There is a reason fireplaces in new construction require a chimney.  Even the manufacturers warn about only using them for very short periods of time.  They put a lot of moisture and CO into the room.  If you install a CO detector, it will alarm very quickly so people soon unplug them.   

From Angielist:

"Many homeowners end up asking chimney sweeps to take out their vent-free gas logs due to problems they find associated with the appliance. Often, a homeowner will report a horrible odor when the logs are in use, water running down the windows and walls, stains and soot, mold and mildew issues, unexplained headaches and being ill while in the house while using the logs."

Now to those who are going to say that your cook top is not vented.  You do not keep the flame going for hours.  
(01-12-2021, 03:08 PM)aquaticjim Wrote: Vent Free gas log fireplaces are a very bad idea.  There is a reason fireplaces in new construction require a chimney.  Even the manufacturers warn about only using them for very short periods of time.  They put a lot of moisture and CO into the room.  If you install a CO detector, it will alarm very quickly so people soon unplug them.   

From Angielist:

"Many homeowners end up asking chimney sweeps to take out their vent-free gas logs due to problems they find associated with the appliance. Often, a homeowner will report a horrible odor when the logs are in use, water running down the windows and walls, stains and soot, mold and mildew issues, unexplained headaches and being ill while in the house while using the logs."

Now to those who are going to say that your cook top is not vented.  You do not keep the flame going for hours.  

I do keep the oven going for hours also I have an unvented gas heater and it does not put out that much moisture like you say in fact we have to run a humidifier to add moisture.  No smell at all and my CO detector does not go off.
As has been said there are 2 types of gas logs, vented and unvented. Both are quite legal in new and existing construction. Both should be installed by professionals. In our last house we had an unvented set of gas logs. They worked just fine. And, for safety reasons we also installed a CO detector which I'd do with either a vented or unvented set of gas logs.