Left Minwax Stain on for too long...Oops!
Bought a used rocking chair from a local thrift store, finish was in bad shape but chair was very solid.

Sanded everything, wiped with conditioner.  Stained with Minwax Wood Finishes.  I left the stain on for WAyyy too long.

Can I simply wipe down with mineral spirits to remove the excess stain that did NOT absorb, let dry, then apply the topcoat?
Yes you can, but it may not remove any of the stain. There are "binders" in the stain, and if left to sit too long they cure to the point where the MS won't dissolve them. But try it, you have nothing to loose.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-17-2021, 02:00 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Yes you can, but it may not remove any of the stain. There are "binders" in the stain, and if left to sit too long they cure to the point where the MS won't dissolve them. But try it, you have nothing to loose.

Fred - the color looks fine, it is not too dark.

I was concerned because the surface was still tacky.  I thought the problem was that I didn't wipe off the stain soon enough.

It was cold and damp in my garage workshop (doors open while applying conditioner/stain and 2-3 hours while drying).  
Slap

I moved the rocker into the house around midnight yesterday and it appears to be slowly drying now.  

I think it was the low temperature that extended dry time.  If the stain "dries" completely is it safe to apply the Spar Urethane topcoat?
Yep, once it dries you are good to go. If it was a fresh can of stain, you are probably correct about the temps being the problem. If it's the age of the stain causing it to dry slowly you'll still be OK...if it dries...that may take a while in that case.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
When I run into that with Minwax stains, I go back over it with a still-wet (with stain) applicator tp loosen up the tacky stuff.   Never tried it once it was fully dry, but I expect it would work.
(01-19-2021, 06:33 AM)KC Wrote: When I run into that with Minwax stains, I go back over it with a still-wet (with stain) applicator tp loosen up the tacky stuff.   Never tried it once it was fully dry, but I expect it would work.

If the tack is mild, this works well. All that's really doing is utilizing the solvent present in the wet stain to loosen the existing stain. The advantage of this is also that it doesn't affect the color.

Mineral spirits work also (much better, actually), but that will likely lighten the stain.
Thanks all for the tips.  

I bought another rocker to go on the porch alongside the one with stain issues.

I learned how easy it is to blend in the stain colors using your advice.  Both rockers look good now.