Doh!
So I cut all the parts for a little mesquite coffee table base sometime prior to 2008.  Moved it twice now.  Managed to not lose any parts in all that time.  Figured I may as well finish it... so glued the two 'gates' yesterday.  
Yes  

Finish sanded this morning, ready to glue to the pieces together... and sure as hell, despite KNOWING I had to be careful, I still put one of the legs backward.  See 'innie' corbel.  
Upset

So 12 years I've been looking at this thing... and dammit!  I'm gonna try to break that joint without tearing up the leg.  Good test for the Gorilla glue.  
Rolleyes   The corbels are atached with a sliding dovetail.  Fix might have been easier if it weren't for that.   Sympathy appreciated.  

(01-18-2021, 10:59 AM)KC Wrote: So I cut all the parts for a little mesquite coffee table base sometime prior to 2008.  Moved it twice now.  Managed to not lose any parts in all that time.  Figured I may as well finish it... so glued the two 'gates' yesterday.  
Yes  

Finish sanded this morning, ready to glue to the pieces together... and sure as hell, despite KNOWING I had to be careful, I still put one of the legs backward.  See 'innie' corbel.  
Upset

So 12 years I've been looking at this thing... and dammit!  I'm gonna try to break that joint without tearing up the leg.  Good test for the Gorilla glue.  
Rolleyes   The corbels are atached with a sliding dovetail.  Fix might have been easier if it weren't for that.   Sympathy appreciated.  

Its not a mistake its a feature.
(01-18-2021, 11:01 AM)wing nut Wrote: Its not a mistake its a feature.

Laugh  
Angry

It did come undone, not easily.  Had to do some chisel cleanup at the shoulders where some of the leg was stuck... but I filled that was a super glue/sawdust mixture that may save it.  Only the dogs will notice it that low, so it's probably gonna be fine.  I'm glad I didn't peg the tenons on this one.  I usually do.  I would've been putting sledge hammer to the whole thing if I had.  
Laugh
I feel your pain...Did it most recently with a tapered leg...Fortunately it was painted, so I cut a new taper and salvaged/glued the waste. 
Now only you know "the rest of the story"...
Glad that worked out, sometimes it doesn't always end neatly.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nothing like that has ever happened in my shop.  I also have flying pigs in the neighborhood. 

I am really suprised you were able to seperate the pieces.  You are very lucky to have noticed in time.

I've used mesquite on two large projects...the saw dust aroma is adicting for me.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I cry with you when you discover it. I know, because I cry for myself now and then.
Not quite as bad as assembling a drawer and realizing you cut the dovetails backwards....

Glad you pulled off the repair!

Ed
The thru tenons were a tight slip fit, and I used the Gorilla poly (because it's more 'slippery' than the Titebond Ulitmate).  Very thin coat on 75% of both faces of the tenon, and at the shoulders.   I'm pretty sure it would have destroyed the tenon if I'd used the TB... and tore out more of the leg where the shoulders hit.
I'll still send some sympathy. May need it down the road. .........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020