Is there really a surplus of gbbed cutterheads? I have problems finding one.
It seems like I may get the opportunity to purchase a 24" thicknesser very cheap. This because the cutterhead is both damaged and of theclamshell type which is no longer legal for professional use.
However finding an affordable cutterhead for it seems almost impossible.

Where are those alleged stashes of surplus cutterheads that were left over when the rich started buying helical cutterheads?

It doesn't add up does it.......
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I'm doubtful there's a stash of 24" ones anywhere. There's probably quite a few of the smaller ones laying around, but I'd bet you'll have to be having one made.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have a 13" one from a Jet planer/molder lying around. I had to move the box this morning. I took a look at it and thought to myself "self? Am I ever going to use this again? ... probably not" and put it in a corner. I bet most folks threw them out instead.

Try a scrapyard?
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
(01-18-2021, 12:27 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm doubtful there's a stash of 24" ones anywhere. There's probably quite a few of the smaller ones laying around, but I'd bet you'll have to be having one made.

I'll have to agree.  The strongest buyers of the chippy heads are the recreational woodworkers.  Some commercial shops are changing but often its cheaper to buy a whole new planer and take it off the taxes as an expense or capitol investment.
(01-18-2021, 12:10 PM)TGW Wrote: It seems like I may get the opportunity to purchase a 24" thicknesser very cheap. This because the cutterhead is both damaged and of theclamshell type which is no longer legal for professional use.
However finding an affordable cutterhead for it seems almost impossible.

Where are those alleged stashes of surplus cutterheads that were left over when the rich started buying helical cutterheads?

It doesn't add up does it.......

What make and model machine?  I may be able to help out.
(01-19-2021, 02:20 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: What make and model machine?  I may be able to help out.

The manufacturer was Franz Dornburg AG in Coburg in Germany. Probably made before the war. Model unknown but I could take measurements.

Having a secondhand cutterhead shipped from the US would cost a bit but buying one locally would be totally exorbitantly expensive.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Yeah, 6, 8, 12, and maybe even 16" are easy to find.

24"?

Not so much.
Semper fi,
Brad

24" isn't common in the states anymore.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-19-2021, 02:54 PM)TGW Wrote: The manufacturer was Franz Dornburg AG in Coburg in Germany. Probably made before the war. Model unknown but I could take measurements.

Having a secondhand cutterhead shipped from the US would cost a bit but buying one locally would be totally exorbitantly expensive.

That's one I never heard of, sorry can't help.