Cigar ash tray finish?
Going to be making some cigar ash trays and wondering what type of finish I should use?
I been using WALRUS OIL - Furniture Finish for some valet trays and not sure if that should be used or not.
here is a link to what I am thinking about using.

https://www.amazon.com/WALRUS-OIL-Furnit...ast_sto_dp
ncwoodturningtools.com
It has to be some kind of penetrating oil. If you are insistent on using wood, I would probably go with mineral oil. I brand my cutting boards and the only thing very high and very direct heat does is draw out some of the oil. 

I do use my (dried and cured) varnish and oil paper towels and rags as fire starters, so even used they are quite flammable. I would imagine walrus oil like you mention is similar, so be cautious with that. Mineral oil is inert. That said, cigar embers will probably not be extremely hot for very long, but I would still expect some charring.

Flammability is also not likely a major concern, as nearly everybody these days smokes their cigars outside (or in the garage) so an unintended ignition is not going to burn the house down.