A technique for power flattening segmented rings
I tried another idea to easily flatten rings.

1. I put a ring on the spindle of my 16" lathe with Cole jaws. I straightened up the sides of the ring but I'm not good enough to make a glue-ready joint with a bowl gouge. Then I scribbled on the cut face with a pencil.

2. I mounted a 12" flat sanding disk to a tailstock from a 12" lathe through a live center onto my 16" lathe. then I could press the sanding disk against the ring, getting 4" of stroke for each rev of the headstock. At 500 rpm, it only took a few seconds of time and no effort at all to erase all the pencil scribbles.

I've never before flattened a ring this easily and quickly.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Just put a sandpaper on a flat item and hold it against the ring as it turns. You can make it as big as you want to sand any size ring.
What am I missing here. Why does the height of your tail stock not lint up with the head?
I think he's using a tailstock just for his sander. Not a bad idea if you can find one.
(02-10-2021, 09:04 AM)RustyN Wrote: What am I missing here. Why does the height of your tail stock not lint up with the head?

Good catch. I missed that.

The tailstock from a different sized lathe to hold the sanding disk on a live center lets the sanding disk spin at a separate speed than the headstock and spreads the wear on the sanding disk across more of the sand paper.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks. Great idea. Looks like it works very well.
(02-10-2021, 08:43 AM)charliez Wrote: Just put a sandpaper on a flat item and hold it against the ring as it turns. You can make it as big as you want to sand any size ring.

A project that requires 196 rings like I completed just before Christmas is enough work that you go looking for an easier way. I did that one with sandpaper on a board and vowed "Not the next one!" Turning a tailstock wheel is a lot easier.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.