Work with green slab
I already know it's a terrible idea to work with green slabs. However, with that said I wonder if my application may be low risk.

I'm making a double live edge slab desk. the frame is a very simple metal frame with two anchor points on each cross support. If I don't finish the slab (other than sanding) and use loose anchors so there is play (or none at all if it's heavy enough) then isn't it conceivable that it will do all it's acclimating in my office for as long as is needed?

The slab would basically get a fresh cut on the ends and that's it.

I know, terrible idea right?
Sure, it's conceivable it will dry without twisting, bowing, and/or splitting.  If it's green wet, however, the probability is about zero.  If it's less than 20% moisture then the odds are a lot better.  

If this is a project for yourself, fine, you are the only one who might end up disappointed.  If you plan to make something for sale, however, yes, terrible idea.  

John
(02-12-2021, 03:25 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Sure, it's conceivable it will dry without twisting, bowing, and/or splitting.  If it's green wet, however, the probability is about zero.  If it's less than 20% moisture then the odds are a lot better.  

If this is a project for yourself, fine, you are the only one who might end up disappointed.  If you plan to make something for sale, however, yes, terrible idea.  

John

Just for myself. Thanks for the feedback.
Justin, you have demonstrated wisdom by asking.  It sounds like you knew the correct answer before you asked.

John has a lot knowledge and experience.

Keep in mind............"Haste makes waste."
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-12-2021, 05:46 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Justin, you have demonstrated wisdom by asking.  It sounds like you knew the correct answer before you asked.

John has a lot knowledge and experience.

Keep in mind............"Haste makes waste."

Thanks Bill. I guess I just need to bounce it around the woodshop a bit.
Smile
Justin
Why not just use a plywood top as a temporary and properly dry the slab
John' iis right if that slab is right of a sawmill it will just trash it's self
If it has been cut a while and now it is at around 20 percent you might get away with stacking it in were it will be used weight it down and check it once in a while
Other wise stack it with stickers until it is some what dry then have someone kiln dry it
Or be prepared to deal with a split aeroplane propeller. As a desk top when you are done