Rules for veneering with same wood over solid wood?
I've veneered over MDF and plywood using PVA and plastic resin glue.  I always veneer both sides.

Do the rules change if I'm veneering over solid wood with the same wood species with the grain running in the same direction?  I'm probably going to use hide glue this time, but I figure that doesn't change the rules.

I have teak veneer that I'm thinking to veneer over 3/4" thick finger jointed teak floor boards to make a rail and stile panel.  Do I need to veneer both faces?  The panel will then be attached to a freestanding bar.

Thanks
Paul
(02-14-2021, 12:05 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: I've veneered over MDF and plywood using PVA and plastic resin glue.  I always veneer both sides.

Do the rules change if I'm veneering over solid wood with the same wood species with the grain running in the same direction?  I'm probably going to use hide glue this time, but I figure that doesn't change the rules.

I have teak veneer that I'm thinking to veneer over 3/4" thick finger jointed teak floor boards to make a rail and stile panel.  Do I need to veneer both faces?  The panel will then be attached to a freestanding bar.

Thanks
Paul

The rules are the same. Veneer both sides. 

John
(02-14-2021, 01:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The rules are the same. Veneer both sides. 

John

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Veneering both sides is not about “balancing stresses” as many believe. It is about keeping the moisture exchange as even as possible on both sides of the panel.

This is why a paper backer can be used opposite a sheet of laminate.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
What you are doing is how they have been veneering for very long time.  Look at antiques and those with veneers it is done with solid woods.  Most of what I have seen are poplar or maple.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Many old pieces have 2 ply veneer also.  The material runs in cross-direction and I've repaired a bunch of stuff before with this.