Veneering Question
Working on a couple of bookcases based on FWW Issue 161 Jan/Feb 2003.  Using Cherry for the frame and some Maple with some Ambrosia with it. Originally,  I was just going to use Maple for the shelves with Cherry on the front (veneer would be roughly 10 1/4" wide by 38 1/8" long).  Now that I have one of the cases together, I'm thinking of putting some shop-made Ambrosia Maple as a veneer over Maple.

I've never veneered before but am considering it now.  My assumption is that 1/8" to 3/16" thick Ambrosia Maple veneer on top and bottom of a Maple substrate won't be an issue.  Good or bad assumption on my part?

Can I use Titebond I or II for the glue or am better off using a liquid hide glue or cold press glue?  I don't have a vacuum press so I planned on using clamps, cauls and anything heavy I can find.

I've got the bandsaw and planner to make the veneer - just need the wood. :-)

Are there other gotcha's are out there that I need to worry about or common rookie mistakes to watch out for?

Attached Files Image(s)

Over solid maple you should be OK, but I would still keep the veneer to 1/8" maximum.  TB I or II should work OK but Unibond 800 or epoxy would be better because you don't need a lot of pressure to get a good bond.  I would not use cold press glue with veneer that thick.  

John
If I understand you correctly you are just edge banding the front. If that's the case (no pun intended) why not glue it up as two solid boards, then rip the show board off the shelf board just leaving your 1/8" veneer (banding). If you do it this way leave both pieces a little on the thick side for the glue-up then after riping bring them down to the final thickness. Take what you riped off and then glue it to the next shelf and repeat. This should eliminate the need for culls as you are glueing up two wider boards. If you do it this way Titebond will be fine.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
Thanks for the advice jteneyck and The Cabinetmaker.

TheCabinetmaker - the Cherry is the edge band (~2" wide, 1" thick), the veneer would be over the remaining 10"+ width of the shelf. 

After sleeping on this, I may just skip the veneering aspect and glue up two pieces of Ambrosia Maple to get to the desired 1" thickness if I can get enough boards that wide.
Well, I apparently did a great job misunderstanding you (2 people divided by a common language), sorry about that. On the subject of wood and the widths that you can get today it's getting tougher to find any wide stock. Years ago 20"  Popular was common today it's hard to find 12" wide stock. 

It looks like you have a good start on your project, I hope you will post photos of the finished product.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
(02-18-2021, 08:46 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: Well, I apparently did a great job misunderstanding you (2 people divided by a common language), sorry about that. On the subject of wood and the widths that you can get today it's getting tougher to find any wide stock. Years ago 20"  Popular was common today it's hard to find 12" wide stock. 

It looks like you have a good start on your project, I hope you will post photos of the finished product.

No apology necessary, I wasn’t very clear describing what I was trying to do. I am concerned that I won’t find stock that wide but will post pictures when I get done. Just be patient, I don’t work fast. 
Smile