Non-symmetrical cabinet knobs spinning.
My kids just bought a house and we are helping them with some fix up. The kitchen cabinets have these spirally basket knobs that have a definite orientation. In other words they are not round and you can tell when they have spun from their vertical position. The knobs have a little spike in the back that is supposed to prevent turning. But the previous owners managed to twist many of them many times to the point where they dug a complete circle and dug out the wood. Then they must have tightened them more to keep them from twisting but continued to twist them again. Anyway, we are painting them and would like to solve the problem more permanently. What should I do to keep them from twisting?  Is there some glue, epoxy, or silicone that would hold them in their correct orientation more solidly?  Any help is appreciated.
The screw is probably too long and bottoming out in the knob. Try shorter screws.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Sounds like a bad idea on knobs. I would putty the grooves, sand, paint, and get new knobs of some other kind that will fit the current holes.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If my description was unclear, here is a similar knob.

https://www.wayfair.com/GlideRite-Hardwa...1MQAvD_BwE

I am sure the machine screws are not bottoming out in the knob because the previous owner just kept tightening them tighter each time and compressed the wood.

I think I agree that the only solution is a symmetrical knob where it won't show if it rotates.  Still hoping there is some adhesive method that might work though.
You might consider using a cabinet knob escutcheon plate under the nobs. If you push the nob on the plate, tap the nob gently to mark the location of the spike, then drill a small hole so the nob is locked. You also could add a dab of epoxy and a washer on the inside for more strength.

Good Luck,
Dave
When you don’t get what you want, you get experience!
My experience with cabinet knobs is all of them loosen over time. The ones that are used the most frequently loosen the fastest. You might be able to keep them tighter longer using loctite in the threads.

I would at least try some of those waffle washers lie these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4.../202704603.

If that doesn't help then back to fill the groves and find a new knob.