Looking for a small piece of Zebra wood veneer & finishing advice-Cedar chest repair
Hi All:

I am trying to repair a Lane Cedar chest from the 50's.  There is a small piece of veneer that has chipped off (and is long gone).

Any suggestions on a source for a small piece of veneer (~1 1/4" x 5/8")?

Also, and recommendations on finishing to match?  (I am thinking amber shellac) 

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

-Brian
I can certainly cut you a piece of veneer and mail it. Matching the grain might be a bit tricky. What is the thickness? 1/16"? 1/32?"

No clue on the finish. That looks considerably darker than all zebrawood I've used so it's definitely got something on it.
(02-23-2021, 08:23 PM)FS7 Wrote: I can certainly cut you a piece of veneer and mail it. Matching the grain might be a bit tricky. What is the thickness? 1/16"? 1/32?"

No clue on the finish. That looks considerably darker than all zebrawood I've used so it's definitely got something on it.

Thanks for the offer!  (I will connect via PM)

Here is a big picture view:

Since the missing piece is very small compared to the over piece, I will have lots of flexibility.  The missing piece is in the blue circle in the upper left corner.  The far left corner of the chest.

I measured the “gap” where the veneer is missing.  It is about 1mm deep, so in between 1/16 and 1/32.  I am guessing the veneer is 1/32 and the difference is the glue and finish.

Since the finish is 60 to 70 years old, I assume it has darkened over time.  I figured I would use shellac and play with the level of amber to get close.  There are a variety of colors on the piece helps as well.

But I am very open to ideas/suggestions.

Thanks again!

PS: BACK STORY - is that this was my mother’s and I want to fix it for my daughter before she takes “possession” of it.  She was getting married this year and moving out.
Update:

Eric's generous gift arrived

I ordered a variety of shellac from wellermart.com (only had the Platina before).  

Tried the Super Blonde, Orange and Garnet

Ended up using 4+ coats of Garnet 

The color match is not perfect, but there are other "character marks" on the cedar chest.  So. all in all, I think it turned out alright!

Thanks again to Eric for the veneer and all the wisdom shared on this great community.

It is greatly appreciated!

-Brian
(03-23-2021, 07:49 PM)BpB123 Wrote: Update:

Eric's generous gift arrived

I ordered a variety of shellac from wellermart.com (only had the Platina before).  

Tried the Super Blonde, Orange and Garnet

Ended up using 4+ coats of Garnet 

The color match is not perfect, but there are other "character marks" on the cedar chest.  So. all in all, I think it turned out alright!

Thanks again to Eric for the veneer and all the wisdom shared on this great community.

It is greatly appreciated!

-Brian

Honestly, you made far better use of that veneer than I probably would have. Looks like an excellent job.

Thanks for sharing the final result!
I think you did a really nice job on this but I have my doubts about whether that chest had any zebra wood on it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
That was a nice patch job. It turned out really well!

Nice work.
A wise man once said, "All woodworkers make mistakes. A good woodworker can hide them."
You did real good. The veneer has more of a Koa look—or, it could even have been a mahogany to which they added black specks.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.