First look - New Oliver portable planer
There is a new option on the lunchbox planer market. I liked the features so much, I decided to upgrade from my old Delta 13” planer. Fact is it’s so new, they just listed it on their webpage yesterday.

https://olivermachinery.net/12-5in-plane...ioTVnEXWec

[Image: full]

Features:

Authentic BYRD Shelix cutter head provide smooth cuts
4-sided carbide inserts are indexed for quick changing
Wixey WR510S digital readout for quick accurate set-up
Powerful 2HP 15Amp 115V motor
Magnetic switch features overload protection
4-post design ensures cutter head alignment to table
Built-in carriage lock for stability during operation
Elevation crank includes an easy to read scale
On-board adjustment wrench storage
Top thickness gage allows convenient material check
4-depth stops allow easy set-up from 3/4" to 5/32"
Front material removal gauge allows for quicker set-up
Fold-up extension wings provide added material support
Built-in carry handles for easy portability
Blower assists in chip ejection during operation
Dust port allows 2-1/2" or 4" hose hook up

I do not have room for a stationary planer. I decided to upgrade because of several issues with my current planer. My old one has poor dust collection, so I only used it outside. Since the machine is discontinued, I have had to find old stocks of the disposable blades or purchased third party options. I’ve found the quality to be inconsistent.

A couple of years ago, I stumbled on a deal for a used Powermatic jointer with the Byrd Shelix helical head. The quality of the cut and the life of the carbide blades have been very impressive. I have been contemplating upgrading the Delta with a Byrd head, but when I saw the Oliver at an introductory price of $699 with a Shelix head standard, I had to give them a call and find out some information. Ended up speaking to the guy that was in charge of developing this planer over the past two years. After the conversation I decided to get one.

Initial impressions:

Planer comes fully assembled, calibrated and tested at the factory. Only needed to attach the crank handle, dust shoot, and put batteries in the Wixey digital gage. The heads of the screws that hold the dust shoot were barely big enough. That plus the fact that you can’t fold up the for storage with the shoot installed, I see upgrading to thumb screws for easier installation and removal.

Included with the planer is a 4” to 2.5” dust port reducer, tools necessary to change the blades and some spare carbide blades.

First board was a short and wide piece of mahogany. Followed the instruction manual to check the calibration. Everything was accurate except the Wixey readout. Set that up and was good to go.

Snipe was noticeable but not major without the carriage lock. With the carriage lock, I had to really search for any snipe. More experimentation to come on snipe.

Dust collection was better than hoped. Made several passes and could literally count all the chips that escaped. I used the 4” port, hooked to a 2hp, 220v Grizzly single stage system. Results may vary, depending on your system.

Noise is significantly reduced compared to my old Delta. I could go within hearing protection for my short test. Wouldn’t dare to do that with my old planer. It will not be as quiet as a stationary planer with helical head, due to the universal motor noise.

You have several ways to check your board thickness. It has the traditional pointer scale, the Wixey readout, groves in the top for common thicknesses that you can place the edge of your board, plus a depth stop on the side with four settings for 3/4” down to 5/32 (minimum thickness). Recommended depth of cut is max of 3/32 for full width boards and 5/32 for boards less than 6” wide.

It only had one speed, unlike my old two speed planer, but I always had to leave my old one on the slower speed to help prevent tearout. Not sure if this is an issue with helical head planers. I also lose 1/2” width of cut over my old one.

I consider Its competitors on the market the Rikon and Jet helical head planers. They’re $50 cheaper at the introductory price, but come with HSS blades vs carbide blades. Grizzly has one with carbide blades that is currently $50 more. But doesn’t use a Byrd head and has less carbide blades. Or you can upgrade your current planer with a Byrd head for $400+.

Overall I’m very pleased with my upgrade, and will post more results as I work with it. If anyone is interested in one, their introductory price is temporary.

John
Looks interesting! Country of origin -- Taiwan, China  or where??
Badge on the machine says Taiwan.
John
Thanks, appreciate it.
GeeTech.... Looks like my Dewalt with some really nice bells and whistles... My Dewalt is a snipe maker... Has a little to do with the lock I think. Need to lift the board up on entry and exit. Please let us know how this one works. Congrats!

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Ran the most difficult board I could find in my shop. The Shelix head delivered as advertised. Very curly maple with no tearout.

For me, the Byrd head was the main reason I went for it.
John
Nice.

Hmmm......I wonder what a used Delta 22-580 is worth these days?
This is replacing my 22-580. I’m going to keep the Delta long enough to use up a couple of my spare blades on rough boards, before finish planing on the Oliver. Then, the old one will be sold.
John
My straight blade Dewalt would have butchered that board. Nice cut.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.