Need a source for stainless steel plate
I've never gotten into this kind of thing before so maybe some of you tool makers, blacksmiths, or knife makers can tell me where I can find stainless steel plate in small amounts - approx.  4x16 inches, 13 to 16 gauge. Just a few pieces at a time - either online or what kind of local shop would I be looking for?  

I am thinking of making some rocking pizza cutters. I know I can buy kits at Woodcraft, but prefer to try designing my own. I first thought of steel plate from the big box stores but I'm sure they would be quick to rust.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
AJ (wood2woodknot)

(02-27-2021, 10:08 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: I've never gotten into this kind of thing before so maybe some of you tool makers, blacksmiths, or knife makers can tell me where I can find stainless steel plate in small amounts - approx.  4x16 inches, 13 to 16 gauge. Just a few pieces at a time - either online or what kind of local shop would I be looking for?  

I am thinking of making some rocking pizza cutters. I know I can buy kits at Woodcraft, but prefer to try designing my own. I first thought of steel plate from the big box stores but I'm sure they would be quick to rust.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
AJ (wood2woodknot)

Where? Where you find just about anything

https://www.amazon.com/RMP-Stainless-Ste...343&sr=8-2
Online metals .com
It takes some looking,  but you can find good deals on ebay.  For local, check to see if you have a Metal Supermarket near you -  www.metalsupermarkets.com    another option is www.speedymetals.com  they are online.
I would ask a local sheet metal shop.  They might have some scrap.

Also, there are online laser cutting services that will supply stainless.  The one I have used is oshcut.  I think the next time I order laser cut parts I'll try sendcutsend.  Of course, this depends on you being able to make a dxf file.
McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/
Wood is good. 
(02-28-2021, 07:24 AM)AUswimKC Wrote: Online metals .com

If they have it, I agree. I have received top notch service from them on Bronze. Highly recommend them.

(02-28-2021, 01:51 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: McMaster-Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/

Same here (If they have it).  I find McMaster to be a bit higher than other places but service is excellent and they have a UPS facility in the warehouse and very good rates.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Home Depot has door kickplates.  Not sure of guage but that might work
(02-28-2021, 03:52 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Home Depot has door kickplates.  Not sure of guage but that might work

Didn't see anything stainless that was strong/stiff/thick enough unless it was plain steel. Need stainless.

But thanks anyway.

-aj ( wood2woodknot )

It's too bad the magazine that had the plan didn't list a source of stainless. Or at least I couldn't find it.