How to build this?
Where do you or how do you run the cord? I assume you resaw stock, route a groove the. Glue back together and shape as you would complete stock or unsawn stock? 

Is there a better way?

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Battery powered LED maybe? Batteries have excellent life with them.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(02-27-2021, 11:44 PM)Scott W Wrote: Where do you or how do you run the cord? I assume you resaw stock, route a groove the. Glue back together and shape as you would complete stock or unsawn stock? 

Is there a better way?

I expect they didn't resaw on the original. They either just started with thinner stock and glued the pieces together after cutting the grooves or they drilled the short arm at the top from the back and ran a groove down the back of the upright. The groove down to the floor might be open with the cord glued into it or there could be a strip of wood glued in over it. If I were making a piece like that, I would probably glue in the strip to cover the cord but I'd use something that is reversible without damaging the surrounding wood to make cored replacement easier.

Edit: I found a picture from the back of it. I don't see a glued in strip and it isn't open so they probably did route a groove and glue the pieces together. The image isn't great but it looks like there's a seam line just above the exit hole for the cord.
To get the cleanest look,  I would resaw, rout, assemble, shape the "pole leg".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I would guess that they used a dado head on a fairly wide board and cut a slot about 1/4" wide.  Then cut the profile to shape, install the wire, and glue a 1/4" thick piece in the slot to hide the wire. 

I had an outdoor lamp post that was made that way.  They had 3/4" slot run all the way to from the base to the top for the wire to fit in and then they glued in an insert. 

This is a bit more challenging because you will have to get the slot quite close to the opposite edge and there is a contour to consider.  Or maybe they made the slots in narrow stock and joined them for the angle. That would be easier from a slot making point of view.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
When you do make a groove for a cord, however it is, allow room to pull the cord out and a new one in in case it needs to be replaced (no sharp bends)
(03-01-2021, 03:28 PM)charliez Wrote: When you do make a groove for a cord, however it is, allow room to pull the cord out and a new one in in case it needs to be replaced (no sharp bends)

Thanks for all the feedback
I know I was the one asking the question.. but just in case someone else is curious,  I found this...not the same lamp but it gives some insight on how it "could" be built. 

https://www.incollect.com/listings/furni...-jr-289993