Bench for daughter I'm just about done with
If you have not added the top yet, then a vertical panel can easily be attached with hidden fasteners. 

You could even drill holes for shelf pins at this point and add some adjustable shelves.  The center vertical panel will allow 30" wide shelves, a better choice than 60" wide shelves.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If you need more support for the seat I would just double the thickness of the stretchers you now have.  Add them to the inside and no one will know.  Alternatively, you could add wider stretchers with the same profile as what's there now, to create a shadow line while increasing the strength even more.  Third option would be to add a single stretcher under the center of the seat.  

You have options.  

John
(03-01-2021, 02:39 PM)Cooler Wrote: I see what you guys are talking about.  The skirts are much shallower than in the original.

A center divider would look fine in my opinion and would add all the support that could possibly be used.  Put a couple of baskets on each side and it will look like it was designed for storage.

How about testing it with some weights? It may not flex much if any. If it does, you could glue a flat (as opposed to on edge) stiffener or two on the bottom and taper the ends so that don't show at the ends.
(03-02-2021, 09:57 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you need more support for the seat I would just double the thickness of the stretchers you now have.  Add them to the inside and no one will know.  Alternatively, you could add wider stretchers with the same profile as what's there now, to create a shadow line while increasing the strength even more.  Third option would be to add a single stretcher under the center of the seat.  

You have options.  

John

Fellas?

The seat is strong enough (I've got a cross brace you can't see and it supports my fat a--).

it's the lower shelf I was worried about sagging.  it'll probably just support some shoes but I'd like it to be stronger in case she stores something heavier.
Dumber than I appear
(03-02-2021, 11:06 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Fellas?

The seat is strong enough (I've got a cross brace you can't see and it supports my fat a--).

it's the lower shelf I was worried about sagging.  it'll probably just support some shoes but I'd like it to be stronger in case she stores something heavier.

Just put a small block in the very center of the bottom.  It will not be visible and will keep the bottom shelf from sagging. I think a 4" square that touches the floor is all you need.  Glue and clamp that block and I think you are covered.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.