Drill Press Question: Rockwell/Delta Radial: Adjusting for Perpendicularity
So I just picked this up a few days ago. Rockwell/Delta 32" Radial Drill Press. I decided to take it apart and clean/lube it. Got it all back together and it seems to run like a top. No detectable runout issues: seems more than adequate for WW.

Question: There are two bronze bearings in the quill that align the spindle: all good. At the bottom of the quill, there is a thrust bearing that is held in with a snap ring. When the quill is plunged down for drilling, a stop collar on the spindle just above the chuck engages this thrust bearing: again, seems to be working just fine. What I was surprised to see is some play in the thrust bearing: some slight up/down movement was possible when I pressed it with my finger. Should I be concerned about this?

As far as I know, that thrust bearing hasn’t been available for decades.  If it works, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I have that DP, by the way.  Bought new in high school, and still going strong.  I’ve used the heck out of it.  

You should be able to find a guard for it as they made a lot of them over a very long time period.  Either cast or plastic, though I’m guessing they’re interchangeable, and I’m also guessing it’s the same guard as the smaller non-radial DP they also made a jillion of.  

I also put a retirement lamp on mine.  It came on a 10” Delta band saw from the 70’s that I gave to my father in-law.  I bought it just for the light.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
OK: seems to be working so I will assume its as it should be. I have the guard: took it off for the rehab. I am glad you mentioned the retirement lamp: I have one from another project that I'd like to use on this, but there does not seem to be a mounting boss on on the DP to mount the lamp arm?

Found a pic on ebay: so I am missing the mounting bracket shown in the photo. Some DPs have a mounting boss so you don't need to use the bracket (I have another Delta DP that has this feature). Guess I will be on the hunt for this obscure part.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

(03-06-2021, 07:15 PM)TDKPE Wrote: As far as I know, that thrust bearing hasn’t been available for decades.  If it works, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I have that DP, by the way.  Bought new in high school, and still going strong.  I’ve used the heck out of it.  

You should be able to find a guard for it as they made a lot of them over a very long time period.  Either cast or plastic, though I’m guessing they’re interchangeable, and I’m also guessing it’s the same guard as the smaller non-radial DP they also made a jillion of.  

I also put a retirement lamp on mine.  It came on a 10” Delta band saw from the 70’s that I gave to my father in-law.  I bought it just for the light.  
Laugh
Mine has two threaded holes in the left side, so I mounted it using them.  Safe assumption that’s what they’re for, but you do need some sort of base for the lamp arm.  Might have to make your own, though.

By the way, that chip board table with a finish on it was original.  I turned it over a few years ago, but it has no ‘arc of shame’ since I’m careful to use sacrificial boards for everything.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-07-2021, 11:25 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Mine has two threaded holes in the left side, so I mounted it using them.  Safe assumption that’s what they’re for, but you do need some sort of base for the lamp arm.  Might have to make your own, though.

By the way, that chip board table with a finish on it was original.  I turned it over a few years ago, but it has no ‘arc of shame’ since I’m careful to use sacrificial boards for everything.

OK, I guess I could drill/tap the head casting to mount the base (the part I will have to find/make). Glad you mentioned the table: it is in very nice shape, although it sustained damage to one corner and so I was thinking about replacing the whole thing with a top that has some t-track for hold down clamps: this is in the early concept stages. Glad you mentioned flipping the table over: I probably would not have though of that (I am embarrassed to say).

One more question on the motor: how to lubricate. When I turned the unit on for the first time, I got a squeal from the motor. I don't see and oil ports on the motor. I took some Triflow with Teflon spray and applied a small amount on the rotor shaft where it exits the housing. Squeal went away. What is proper way to lubricate this? Here are some pics to help:

Wow, and OEM motor, too.  Other than my Unisaw, I’ve never bought a stationary machine with a motor.  If you recall, back-then the tools were listed with various motor options, including no motor.  I always had a pile of motors, so I always pulled one out of the pile.  

That 10” 1970’s BS I got the light from has the original OEM Rockwell/Delta motor on it.  I should grab it and put the DP’s motor on it instead, just for authenticity sake.  I’ll sell the BS for cheap, just to get rid of it.  The motor on the DP was from my attic A/C blower in my last house, which I salvaged when we replaced the system.  
Laugh

As to lubing the motor, it looks like that’s a lube hole on the bottom.  Easy enough to rotate the whole turret head assembly to put it on top.  If there’s one on the bottom, there would also be one on the shaft end.  

Also looks like a stamped sheet metal cap on the bottom, which you may be able to gently pry off to see what’s underneath.  I’m guessing sleeve bearing and felt wick, as Delta used inexpensive motors on small machines like this (and my 10” BS) in that era; plenty good enough for this tool, but not ball bearing.  

I’ve never pulled a Delta motor apart because, as I said, I’ve never even owned one, so I’m sort of guessing here.  
Laugh
Tom

(03-07-2021, 01:35 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Wow, and OEM motor, too.  Other than my Unisaw, I’ve never bought a stationary machine with a motor.  If you recall, back-then the tools were listed with various motor options, including no motor.  I always had a pile of motors, so I always pulled one out of the pile.  

That 10” 1970’s BS I got the light from has the original OEM Rockwell/Delta motor on it.  I should grab it and put the DP’s motor on it instead, just for authenticity sake.  I’ll sell the BS for cheap, just to get rid of it.  The motor on the DP was from my attic A/C blower in my last house, which I salvaged when we replaced the system.  
Laugh

As to lubing the motor, it looks like that’s a lube hole on the bottom.  Easy enough to rotate the whole turret head assembly to put it on top.  If there’s one on the bottom, there would also be one on the shaft end.  

Also looks like a stamped sheet metal cap on the bottom, which you may be able to gently pry off to see what’s underneath.  I’m guessing sleeve bearing and felt wick, as Delta used inexpensive motors on small machines like this (and my 10” BS) in that era; plenty good enough for this tool, but not ball bearing.  

I’ve never pulled a Delta motor apart because, as I said, I’ve never even owned one, so I’m sort of guessing here.  
Laugh

OK, I think I will pop the motor off so I can get a better view of whats going on. Seeing how the sun is shining brightly here and its a balmy 37 degrees, I will be spending the rest of the afternoon on the deck enjoying a cigar and double bourbon (I like to stay away from power tools and tools with sharp edges after such an indulgence
Smile : so further motor investigation will have to wait until tomorrow. Much appreciate the help!!!!
No need to pop it off - just rotate the whole turret assembly, head, motor, and all.  Pull and rotate the ‘key’ on the left side, in case you haven’t been introduced.  I
Tom

(03-07-2021, 02:16 PM)TDKPE Wrote: No need to pop it off - just rotate the whole turret assembly, head, motor, and all.  Pull and rotate the ‘key’ on the left side, in case you haven’t been introduced.  I

Yes, that is indeed what I did. Removed pulley. Cleaned everything up and have determined that there are no ports for lubrication. What looks like a pop-off cover on the bottom is not. I tried getting moving, but it would not budge. Removed the four nuts from the screws that run from top to bottom holding both ends of motor together. I assumed that I would be able to remove the top and/or bottom. Tapped it with rubber mallet: would not budge. No lubrication ports on bottom either: those two holes are dead ends. Looks like top and bottom are both cast aluminum. As I was working on this, I decided that perhaps the motor is not as old as the drill? Motor looks to be in remarkable condition, for a 50+ year old motor. Maybe this is a unit with sealed bearing: lubricated for life: no user serviceable parts inside? At any rate, I applied some more Triflow at the top around the spindle. I think I will declare victory on the motor at this point. It is a mystery though.

That's very likely a ball bearing motor.
Remove the four long bolts and you can pop it apart.  Mark where the end bells align with the motor body first. 
Changing the bearings may require a little ingenuity, depending on what resources you have at hand.
The bearings are likely the 6203 size but it could be a 6203 at the front and a 6202 at the back.  I've not delved into that specific motor before.