Walnut trees cut down, need to pick them up and store
I have a friend who cut down a few walnut trees.  He offered to cut the 12-inch (plus) diameter logs into 9-ft lengths and leave them behind for me and another friend to pick up next weekend.

I have never done this before, so I am looking for any advice based on hard experience.  We have another friend who has access to a very big mill once a year, when we will take them to be cut into slabs.  That could be anywhere from 6 months out to 12 months out.  No charge for the cutting, and they will be scanned for metal before cutting.

Until then, they will be sitting under an awning, on top of wood blocks, probably covered with a tarp.  

Other than that, we don't have much of a plan.  Any comments or advice?
Steve
paint the ends with a wax sealer or paint at a minimum. i wouldn’t cover with a tarp as that will trap moisture. have done this with many walnut logs but every situation can be a little different so ymmv. good luck with it all!
(03-06-2021, 10:55 PM)joshua5 Wrote: paint the ends with a wax sealer or paint at a minimum. i wouldn’t cover with a tarp as that will trap moisture. have done this with many walnut logs but every situation can be a little different so ymmv. good luck with it all!

Good points.  Do you strip the bark?  That would probably not be very easy.  Is there a way to prevent powder post beetles?  I don't think the wood will ultimately be kiln-dried.
Steve
Seal the ends and keep them off the ground and in the shade as much as possible.  No tarp. Leave the bark on; it will slow drying.  I've never had a problem with PPB but I live in the NE and it may be more of an issue where you are.  If so, you could try spraying the logs with Timbor or something similar.  Walnut is really rot resistant.  I've sawed logs that have sat for several years and they were still good inside.  The sapwood will rot eventually but the heartwood stays fine.  

John
(03-07-2021, 10:19 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Seal the ends and keep them off the ground and in the shade as much as possible.  No tarp. Leave the bark on; it will slow drying.  I've never had a problem with PPB but I live in the NE and it may be more of an issue where you are.  If so, you could try spraying the logs with Timbor or something similar.  Walnut is really rot resistant.  I've sawed logs that have sat for several years and they were still good inside.  The sapwood will rot eventually but the heartwood stays fine.  

John

+1
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I don't know where you're located, but here if you leave the bark on the beetles will attack in a matter of days.

I'd take it off. The downside is some checking on the surface, but all you'll lose is the sapwood. The upside is you won't give bugs a place to live. 90% of the drying comes out the ends I've had good luck with AnchorSeal on boards.

Walnut can be victimized by borers, so once the lumber is cut, I would treat with a borate type product.
(03-08-2021, 09:18 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I don't know where you're located, but here if you leave the bark on the beetles will attack in a matter of days.  

I'd take it off.  The downside is some checking on the surface, but all you'll lose is the sapwood.  The upside is you won't give bugs a place to live. 90% of the drying comes out the ends I've had good luck with AnchorSeal on boards.

Walnut can be victimized by borers, so once the lumber is cut, I would treat with a borate type product.

I've never had problems with beetles/bugs in walnut logs or lumber where I live in WNY.  I have seen some English walnut lumber another guy gave me just riddled by borers, however, so it definitely can happen.  The best approach is to mill and dry lumber as soon after the tree is felled as possible.  

John
Thanks for the additional input. We are planning to pick up the logs this weekend weather permitting. In central Iowa, it is hopefully too early for borers. I will try to get info on the mill availability.
Steve
(03-08-2021, 11:29 AM)arnman Wrote: Thanks for the additional input.  We are planning to pick up the logs this weekend weather permitting.  In central Iowa,  it is hopefully too early for borers.  I will try to get info on the mill availability.

I've bought a bunch of walnut logs from Varvras in Chelsea in the last 10 years (before Virgil died). All those logs were stored bark on in stacks on the ground, and the logs had been there for years, ands there was not an issue with beatles or bores or anything...
Jason
Mesurei, cutti, cursi

A 9 foot length of 12 inch plus diameter walnut, you'll have some help loading this, right??? That's going to be some stout logs