New turner
I’m new to turning.  I bought an old lathe for $65.00 just to see if I would like it.  I’ve turned a few items that aren’t really anything yet just playing. I’ve put a few pics in here wondering how you drill holes if you can’t change the tail stock center? Do you just use a a drill in a vise or even a drill with the wood turning on the lathe?

Attached Files Image(s)

First, welcome to the vortex, where everything that matters spins around.

If the drill bit is a small diameter, you can put the bit in a Jacobs chuck and just hold it in your hand. This obviously gets more difficult and dangerous as the bit diameter gets larger.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Hand held.  I know a few turnners who have epoxyed handels to the drill bits they use regularly.  Personally I would not be comfortable holding a 1/2" drill bit by hand, but 3/8" is no sweat.  For me, the important thing, is to cut a divit before you try to drill.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Welcome to WoodNet.  

A center drill in a handle or chuck is a good way to provide the initial lead/divot for drilling.

The obvious question is: what the design is for the lathe that you have to get anything out of the tailstock?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-15-2021, 08:18 PM)Mbresch Wrote: I’m new to turning.  I bought an old lathe for $65.00 just to see if I would like it.  I’ve turned a few items that aren’t really anything yet just playing. I’ve put a few pics in here wondering how you drill holes if you can’t change the tail stock center? Do you just use a a drill in a vise or even a drill with the wood turning on the lathe?

I am thinking  that the tip on the threaded rod may be able to be remove, (set screw or screwed on??)   If so you may be able to put a drill chuck on in its place.
Just a though.
\Bob
Look at the Oneway Drill Wizard it might be what you need.