band saw illumination
(03-18-2021, 03:15 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I don't recommend the LV light for the OP, but not for the reason you gave. LV wasn't blaming anyone but pointing out what happened. Anything , clocks, radios, multimeters etc, will fail when the owners don't take out the batteries or check on them periodically. Common sense to me.

For a bandsaw or any machine, battery-powered lights are a nuisance, because Murphy's Law likes to strike in the shop.

Get a sewing lamp as Woodshop suggested, and plug both the bandsaw, vc, and lamp into a power bar. This way, when you turn on the power bar, you can get the vac and light running at the same time.

Simon

Please.   Maybe I'm lucky, but it is the only battery powered device I've had this happen to.  Don't even want to think about how many devices have cycled through this house given kids toys.  What is the point of removing batteries after use?
(03-19-2021, 06:14 AM)nodima Wrote: Please.   Maybe I'm lucky, but it is the only battery powered device I've had this happen to.  Don't even want to think about how many devices have cycled through this house given kids toys.  What is the point of removing batteries after use?

If a battery is used often, you can tell it's dead and replace it before it leaks. You don't need to remove it after each use. For example, I replace a clock's battery when the clock stops ticking.

But for my calipers, angle gauge etc which I use only once in a while, I take out the battery. I learned my lesson. May be it'd help if the circuit is broken by placing something between a battery's terminal and the contact. I know some devices give an audio or flashing warning when the battery runs low.

Dont know if it works, but I found this (google):

Clean the flashlight with white vinegar and a small brush. The acidic vinegar helps to counteract the basic compound potassium hydroxide. If the corrosion is more extensive, you can soak the flashlight in the vinegar for several minutes. When you are done cleaning, rinse the body thoroughly with clean water.

Simon
(03-19-2021, 01:30 AM)wood-chips Wrote: I bought the lights on Amazon, but they are no longer available.
However this is what they look like. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...UTF8&psc=1

Check IKEA.

Simon
This isn't exactly what is asked....but I use a rechargeable headlamp from Petzl. Light is Always where I need it. I use it for everything.  Table saw,  bandsaw etc.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(03-18-2021, 04:32 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I've used these from Peachtree for many years with no problems:

https://www.ptreeusa.com/shop_lights.htm

Lonnie

Same here.  I have a 5000K LED bulb in it.

The magnet is powerful - the light never moves unless I want it to.

[Image: 51053309107_e9609408cf_c.jpg]

Mike
I have three lights like OHIO MIKE.  They stick to my bandsaw, drill press, and I have  a 3rd one that came with an 18 ft cord that I stick to plain flat electrical box covers which I have put over tools that that I seldom use . Because they are 25 plus years old they were designed for regular bulbs  I put in LED that are 100 watt equivalent and they are 5k color.
(03-19-2021, 03:45 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Same here.  I have a 5000K LED bulb in it.

The magnet is powerful - the light never moves unless I want it to.

[Image: 51053309107_e9609408cf_c.jpg]

Mike

Nice looking light and at a reasonable price. Has that Delta "retirement light" look to it. Is that a piece of paper under the base?

Doug
I have been reading this but my question is why your bandsaw  has so much vibration??  Any decent magnetic base should stick just fine and not move.  Makes me wonder if you have a problem with your saw and not the light.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

(03-19-2021, 11:56 PM)Tapper Wrote: Nice looking light and at a reasonable price. Has that Delta "retirement light" look to it. Is that a piece of paper under the base?

Doug

That's a piece of magnetic sign material.  It keeps the light fixture from scratching the paint.

Mike
I have the same lights on my drill press and bandsaw, a rechargeable bike light. It attaches via a rare earth magnet, which is epoxied on. I only have a photo of the drill press ...

[Image: bike-light1a.jpg]

[Image: bike-light2a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com