Glue Question
If you're talking about setting a 400 degree pan on top of a wooden prep board, I don't think the glue will be your biggest problem. That sort of heat is going to cause pretty significant stress and moisture exchange.
I think I would make a nice wood base and top it with tile.  It would be super durable (porcelain or granite), and heat resistant.  It would easily wipe clean.  I think I would prefer a single 12" x 12" granite tile so that there is no need for a grout line.

[Image: 95f4a843833d830_img_5955.JPG]

I made a large trivet by simply gluing rubber feet to the bottom of a granite tile.  It took 10 minutes and I've had it for nearly 20 years.  You can get a single tile at Lowes for about $6.00.  I would try that on him first and tell him you will get to the wood one later.  Maybe he'll say, "Thanks Pop, but the tile is working out fine."

I never ran mine through the dishwasher (I probably could), but I have soaked it in the sink.  So cleaning is a breeze.  I am guessing I used E6000 glue, but it was so long ago that I cannot remember.  The rubber feet were meant to be screwed on; I just used glue.

I see that they are called "rubber bumper feet".  They raise the tile about 1/2" above the surface.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
FWIW, I built several wooden trivets about 30 years ago, glued with Elmer's Wood Glue or maybe TBII.  None have broken at a glue joint despite use nearly every holiday since where large casserole dishes get set on them straight from the oven.  

John
I'd make it using arched slats with spaces between so any glue will be well away from heat.

Also remember that dish will be cooling off and heat rises so the wood won't get the full brunt of the heat for long.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Thanks again to everyone.  I finally ended up using some "super glue".  I got some CA adhesive at my local woodworking store and it seems to be a very good adhesive.  I would have never guessed it could be used for edge joining boards, but it seems to be holding.  And a test with some scrap boards showed that the glue joint held while the wood fibers failed before the glue line.
We'll see how the trivet holds up long term.
Despite what you may think, hide glue is resistant to heat. Heat PLUS humidity can lead to failed joints, but heat alone isn't enough to make a joint fail.

Check this link for a real-world test:

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Data...etest.html