Anybody use "811" successfully?
I've tried twice but get lost in "touch ton hell"
Upset

The web site asks if your dig site is in "blue zone" on map but if it isn't there's no options on what to do
Rolleyes

Left a nasty message on voicemail and will see how long it takes to hear back
No
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Last few times I had dig work done, they took care of it, no problems
I use it all the time...each State has their own system I think.  811 here connects me to the Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS)
I've always called, never an issue.

Ed
Maybe a regional thing.  Very punctual in Central Iowa. But, very expensive.

They came to locate a path from our house to my shed when I was trenching for electrical.  My wife mentioned to him that she wanted a chain link fence someday for our dog (that was news to me).  He went ahead and located around the entire property.  Several thousand dollars later we had a chain link fenced in yard.
Here they are prompt. 2 or 3 days, but say they have 2 weeks. However, the Telcom says we don't have service. (AT&T) And the electric company doesn't participate, so you call them separately.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
One thing I also did is after they located everything I took pictures for my own reference...
Always worked good for me in northern WI.
Ohio:
Free
They respond with 48 hours (weekends excluded)
If you hit something after they have marked it (or, rather, not marked it once the time has passed...) it is on them not you (so I hear 
Uhoh  )
If you need them to mark it again because you didn't get everything done, call again and they'll mark it again.
About 25 years ago hit a main 100 amp service coming into a home. I was using a power post hole digger for deck supports. Lucky I wasn't fried. Called public service on a Saturday. Imediatly started getting chewed out for not calling diggers hotline which is what was used at the time. Told them i had and the markings were 4 feet away. They sent out a repair crew right away and nobody was ever billed.