Gift for Retiring Priest
My priest (Episcopalian) of over 23 years called me yesterday & said he'll be retiring in September. I've had a wonderful relation with him over the years and would love to make him something thoughtful and unique. I would love to hear some suggestions from the gang here.

TIA

Jim
Jim
I would suggest a nice lap desk.  You can put inlays in the top, provide storage for paper, address book, and pens.  Make it as nice as you like.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(04-07-2021, 09:35 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: My priest (Episcopalian) of over 23 years called me yesterday & said he'll be retiring in September. I've had a wonderful relation with him over the years and would love to make him something thoughtful and unique. I would love to hear some suggestions from the gang here.

TIA

Jim

Did he say anything about his reason for retiring or what he was going to do in retirement?

BOM's suggestion of a lap desk could certainly be nice. Inlays could make it very special. The challenge is knowing how wide to make it. The traditional lap desk is sized for handwriting or drawing. If, instead, it is going to be used for a laptop, then making it wide enough to hold a trackball/thumb-ball-mouse next to the keyboard could make it more useful (but heavier to lift on and off one's lap.

If you were to add one of the C-shaped TV tray legs like one of these that the lap desk could sit on in day-to-day use, then it would increase its utility if your priest is like me. (sorry for him if he is.
Winkgrin  )

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Lightw...6603&psc=1

https://www.wayfair.com/Zipcode-Design%E...GmEALw_wcB

If he cooks, you could consider an end-grain cutting board with a cross in the pattern or a symbol appropriate to Episcopalians.

Depending on his personality and final plans, a funeral urn for his eventual use that could also be used until then for storing small keepsakes or memorabilia.

Additional possibility would be to quietly arrange for the flying of an Episcopalian flag somewhere important to him and then present it to him at his retirement in a flag case / shadow box.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-07-2021, 09:35 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: My priest (Episcopalian) of over 23 years called me yesterday & said he'll be retiring in September. I've had a wonderful relation with him over the years and would love to make him something thoughtful and unique. I would love to hear some suggestions from the gang here.

TIA

Jim

I've pretty much have come to the decision to turn a chalice. What exotics wood would you recommend? Has anyone done this before. I'm open for suggestions. I have until September. I've also posted this in the turning forum
Jim
(04-07-2021, 04:53 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I've pretty much have come to the decision to turn a chalice. What exotics wood would you recommend? Has anyone done this before. I'm open for suggestions. I have until September. I've also posted this in the turning forum

Probably not hemlock.
Winkgrin 

If there is a chance that he might use the chalice for liquids, you do not want to use any woods with toxins that could leach out into the liquid.

Based on the Legend of the Dogwood, you might consider dogwood.

In case you have trouble finding a right-size chunk of dry wood, I got to make a natural-edge goblet in one of our turning club's private lessons. It was turned in 3 parts with the bowl and base out of a light-colored wood and the stem out of rosewood. 3/8" diameter tenon on each end of the stem.

A dogwood bowl, rosewood stem (as in crown of thorns), and an appropriate material for the base might have extra meaning to a retired priest even if the legend is not true.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.