Bi-Fold door too narrow for closet opening
I have a closet opening that is about 1.5 inches too wide for the widest bi-fold door sold at the box stores.  I'd rather not build up the door frame and I would like to have the widest opening to the closet possible.  I was thinking about adding material to the door and re-drilling the holes for the pins.  Is this a feasible solution or am I asking for trouble here? In my mind it seems like a reasonable solution but I have a tendency to over complicate things.
It could be an option if you can make it look like it's supposed to be that way. Is the door already finished or are you finishing it? Can you make the added material match?
My thoughts also, are you able to leave the center alone, the build out the outer edges to get rid of the gap?
A single bifold door or a pair in the opening?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Does the opening have moulding? If no, maybe add some or if yes get wider moulding. Center the doors and cover the gaps with the trim moulding.
(04-14-2021, 03:21 PM)stav Wrote: I have a closet opening that is about 1.5 inches too wide for the widest bi-fold door sold at the box stores.  I'd rather not build up the door frame and I would like to have the widest opening to the closet possible.  I was thinking about adding material to the door and re-drilling the holes for the pins.  Is this a feasible solution or am I asking for trouble here? In my mind it seems like a reasonable solution but I have a tendency to over complicate things.

The common solution in that case is to add a spacer on one or both sides.  Mount the hinges to the spacers.  

John
Its a single bifold that is a slab style.  The door is primed mdf or similar material that my wife plans to paint some pattern on it.  I was going to leave the middle as is and add the extra material to the sides.  I have it screwed on so far and was planning to add glue as well.
Sounds like a plan to me, but maybe I am missing something. If it fails for some odd reason you can "rip off" the added wood.
That's kind of what I was thinking. It may sound silly but I put a lot of work into widening the opening to this closet and I don't really want to lose any of that.  Especially since I sized the shelves specifically so we could get the vacuum in there to the side. Its kind of a tight fit so if I loose any door opening I might have to redo the shelves a little.
Your plan sounds fine.
Plane the original edge (hand plane) so the glue adheres fully.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.