Kitchen counter laminate question
I'm doing some remodeling in my kitchen and have arrived at the countertop part of the project. I am leaning strongly toward toward either replacing the counters with pre-fab laminate counters or simply laying another laminate sheet over what is currently there. They are built in place counters so nothing but square profiles to contend with, and they are still in excellent shape (save for the fact that we want to change the color). I have to admit, I'm feeling a twinge of guilt over 'cheaping out' over the material, but my wife doesn't like granite, and I'm just not that wild about the man-made alternatives - at least not at 3 or 4 times the cost. The only real argument I can think of to spend $40/$100 sq ft., is resale value and that seems a poor reason.
Any advice is appreciated. If I do an over-lay, I'd likely hire out the work. Kind of a one shot to get it right deal and I don't want my house to be my first practice.
We have Corian, have also had laminate.

For me the most important is do you want, and also what will fit with the rest of your decor...
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with laminate. It is durable and there are lots of choices in color and textures. 40 years ago, that is one of the first jobs I did in our house. About 5 years ago, we pulled it out and replaced it with Silstone (a manmade stone). The laminate still looked good.
When first putting it in, all I did was sand the surface of the original laminate and used solvent based contact cement to glue down the new. Pretty easy.
We redid our kitchen, and despite my pleas to go with laminate, my wife didn't agree. I think the latest laminate counter tops really have some nice colors and they can no do some profile stuff on the edges they couldn't do years ago. I don't consider it "cheaping out", rather it just makes more sense. In any case, I think I would replace them. You can glue more on top, but it may de laminate over time putting you in a rework loop.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just replaced our countertops last year. Went with laminate. Chose the Calcutta Marble "color". Got a full round profile on the edges. Makes it look like the "stone" wraps clear underneath the countertop.

No issues with it at all. I did the install myself. Only real detractor is that that we have a peninsula that sticks out. That means the glue on end cap has a brown line around it (the edge of the laminate on top). I intend to paint that line someday, as soon as I figure out what a good gray/white color matching blend is.

If you do choose a stone pattern, pay attention to the finish. We chose ours to be smooth and glossy. They also offered an etched finish, but I didn't like that at all.

Also, we considered granite, but due to our kitchen layout, we would have had to buy two slabs. Not happening. Literally did the laminate for 10% of the cost of granite.
I have formica (Laminate, as it is called today. Formica was a brand name.) You'll find cheap laminate and better laminate (thicker)- do not get the cheap thin junk. It breaks to easily.

I washed the surface first with a good soap and water, then I sanded the surface well, being careful to get the inside corners and edges, then wiped it dry and further dried and cleaned it well with acetone. The cement adhesive will stick very well then.

That was quite a few years ago (28) and the countertop has worn normally and looks great except for the small section I can't seems to get the wife to stop cutting stuff with a knife once in a while.
Upset.  It will be the last top we will need. I edged it with a nice strip I made from redwood. Looks great in an old house.
(04-19-2021, 02:26 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Thank you all for weighing in. I'm told the lead time to even get a specific sheet of laminate shipped is about 3 weeks. I just put down Hickory hardwood on my floors, took out my old kitchen island and painted the walls. I thought I might keep the remodel inertia rolling with a new countertop, but it looks like that will be a phase 2 operation. I can't stand the idea of waiting another month to put things back in order!
3  week lead time? That's ridiculous. I work in a commercial millwork shop and I broke a 5' x 12' sheet the other day. My shop foreman called and we had a new sheet in 2 days. Only reason that it took 2 days was because the next day wasn't a normal delivery day. Heck, in a pinch we drive up to the distributor and pick it up the same day.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(04-24-2021, 04:58 PM)museumguy Wrote: 3  week lead time? That's ridiculous. I work in a commercial millwork shop and I broke a 5' x 12' sheet the other day. My shop foreman called and we had a new sheet in 2 days. Only reason that it took 2 days was because the next day wasn't a normal delivery day. Heck, in a pinch we drive up to the distributor and pick it up the same day.

Just before the close down I had a CNC job that had a laminate on it.  When I picked it up they told me be extra careful because it would take over 2 weeks to get another sheet of that laminate.  When I brought the job back I aske him how long would it take to get another piece He almost fainted but I said I was just wondering but the job came out perfect.
(04-24-2021, 05:03 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Just before the close down I had a CNC job that had a laminate on it.  When I picked it up they told me be extra careful because it would take over 2 weeks to get another sheet of that laminate.  When I brought the job back I aske him how long would it take to get another piece He almost fainted but I said I was just wondering but the job came out perfect.

Could be the particular color and/or finish. Of course, your experience was a little while ago and mine was less than a week. Things could have improved over time.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry