Concrete Countertop Overhang
Hi everyone,

I've been working on an outdoor kitchen, and it is about done.  All that is left is to set the concrete countertops this coming weekend.  The countertops are currently curing. 

Today I had a concern about the overhang on the bar area.  Here are the specifics. 

The countertop is 18" wide, 1.5" thick, and 97" in length.  

I used Quikcrete's countertop mix. 

There are two pieces of 8' rebar running the length of the countertop, and 6, 12" pieces spaced equally apart running the width. 

The countertop will sit on an 8" wide wall made of metal studs.  Concrete backer board over the studs and then thin brick veneer.  

The overhang in question will be 9".  So 9" overhang, 8" sitting on the wall, and then 1" overhang on the other side.  

My plan was/is to adhere the countertop with construction adhesive. 

I had not originally planned on any supports (corbels) under the overhang. Now I'm in a little bit of a panic that maybe I need some support under there.  

Thoughts?  Am I asking for trouble or does the collective think this will all be just fine once everything sets and is properly cured. 

Matt
Maybe some decorative corbels to fit the style plus some support ...
something low profile like this:
https://originalgranitebracket.com/produ...0720983137
Keep in mind you still need to allow resistance to the overturning of the stem/support wall...I trust it is well anchored or otherwise designed for this eccentric loading...
I notched out a 1/2” square section at the top of my cabinets and added a steel flat bar for my granite.  Then screwed it solid and level so it was flush with the top of the cabinet.  I then added a low profile piece of 3/4” wood with a dado in it.  Slide it over with epoxy holding it in place.  Looks great if noticed but it’s not apparent.  The support is there though for when my kids decide to do “dips” on the counter top.

Normally that kind of overhang wouldn't be an issue but you have 50% of the countertop hanging over and you're only method of attachment is construction adhesive

So I would say you definitely need some kind of support there I would have built something in to the concrete counter to attach it but it's too late for that so I would go with construction adhesive and some kind of support that will allow it not to create leverage at the point of the adhesive

Without seeing the style I couldn't recommend what exactly it doesn't need to be a ton of support and doesn't have to be fancy but just something to keep the overhang from exerting pressure on the adhesive
(04-20-2021, 11:41 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Normally that kind of overhang wouldn't be an issue but you have 50% of the countertop hanging over and you're only method of attachment is construction adhesive

So I would say you definitely need some kind of support there I would have built something in to the concrete counter to attach it but it's too late for that so I would go with construction adhesive and some kind of support that will allow it not to create leverage at the point of the adhesive

Without seeing the style I couldn't recommend what exactly it doesn't need to be a ton of support and doesn't have to be fancy but just something to keep the overhang from exerting pressure on the adhesive

Yeah, after doing some reading last night, it seems no more than a 1/3rd of the width of the top can be cantilevered.  I'll need to support it with something...thanks everyone for the thoughts. 

Matt