Tired of a house after living there for six months
(10-29-2021, 06:25 AM)nodima Wrote: THAT - (points up) is very telling.

The only one I would have ever bought was a mid 1700s home build entirely of American Chestnut, including the flooring, beams, joists, studs and cabinetry. The attic floor as made with random width boards from about 15 to to 20 inches wide. I would have torn down the house, sold all the wood and built a new one.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-28-2021, 02:24 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I love old houses and carved a nice niche in the home inspector business as somewhat specializing in old houses. Most of the houses I do were built around 1900 and a few from the mid 1700's.

I would never own one.

My mom bought a 120 year old house.  I was part owner with my siblings after she passed.  I loved that house, but owning part of it was my worst nightmare.

The best thing about it was how quiet it was. I can only assume that's because of the plaster walls. As far as I could tell, it had zero insulation. And it wasn't that far south.
(10-31-2021, 01:19 PM)EricU Wrote: My mom bought a 120 year old house.  I was part owner with my siblings after she passed.  I loved that house, but owning part of it was my worst nightmare.

The best thing about it was how quiet it was.  I can only assume that's because of the plaster walls.  As far as I could tell, it had zero insulation.  And it wasn't that far south.

I own a couple that are over 100.  The one I live in was built in 1885 and has been down to the studs, as for mechanicals I am in California so not much to worry about there.  All the wiring, plumbing, and what little there was in mechanicals have been replaced along with the interior molding as it was cover in lead.  Luckily I found most of what was needed at a lumber yard that might be a little older than the house.  My San Francisco building is pre 1906 not much else is known about the age.  All of the mechanicals have been replaced a time or 2 and will need to be again.  The new electrical code in San Francisco will require a huge box bolted to the ground with more stuff than I understand currently.  The materials alone are about $20k currently.  The current supply panel is about $2k in parts

As for making them quiet insulation, 1/2" ply for sheer and 5/8s fire rock can really quiet a place down.  It was one of the first things one of my tenants noticed when I finished remodeling a unit
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-20-2021, 01:58 PM)Cooler Wrote: Found the listing at $600,000.00.  

It was trucked in, but is listed as "custom contemporary".

What you cannot see from the photo is the steep driveway. 

[Image: d20786a5ca3d0f05a238be59fdeb298fl-m86746..._h768.webp]

600k for a 2 story mobile home with attached garage.
ill pass.
I drove by. I did not visit but from the map and high position, I'm guessing that they have a river view.  But they would be looking down on the roofs of about 100 mobile homes that are placed nearer the river.

It does not seem like a particularly good value, even for this area. 

Mobile homes depreciate in value (but not the land).  

Factory-built stick homes seem to fare as well as site-constructed homes.

I do not know if the novel factory constructed homes such as this one will retain value; depreciate or appreciate in value.  I think we will have to wait 20 - 30 years to find out.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-20-2021, 01:58 PM)Cooler Wrote: Found the listing at $600,000.00.  

It was trucked in, but is listed as "custom contemporary".

What you cannot see from the photo is the steep driveway. 

[Image: d20786a5ca3d0f05a238be59fdeb298fl-m86746..._h768.webp]

That's one fugly house!!

Why don't people realize that modern houses are ugly???
Dumber than I appear
(04-20-2021, 03:08 PM)Cooler Wrote: The glass is facing east, but it is also facing the tallest hill in the town which is about 150 feet above that house.  The reason they built all the houses at the base of the hill on slabs is because the water run off would flood basements.

It also means that the sun does not reach those front windows until late morning.  So not much radiant heat.  There is probably (in the winter) 2 hours daily (10 a.m. to noon) where there is direct sunlight on those windows.

I live at the peak of that hill and I have the opposite issue.  The rear of my house is all floor-to-ceiling glass.  I back up to a nature preserve, so it is 100% private.  But the sun hits the glass at 6:00 in the morning in the summer and pretty much I get some direct sun all morning.

It is a new house, so I would imagine they used high E-glass and probably double or triple glazing.   But I would hate to have a neighbor looking in my back yard with all the glass I have.  I would hate to have that much visibility from the roadway like that house has.

And a flat roof has its own set of problems.

Here is the full listing with lots of photos.  Some nice features.  But it looks like a lot of stair climbing (not my favorite thing.  I grew up in a split level and we were constantly climbing stairs.)

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom...093#photo0

Apparently, it once sold for $715,000.00.  None of the photos show the steep driveway.

The Google street view gives a better idea of the driveway:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/431+Sh...73.9296653
Guess they like white . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-03-2021, 12:30 PM)Admiral Wrote: Guess they like white . . . .

I thought "custom contemporary" meant "white".

I just re-read the listing carefully.  It is sold at $715,000.00.  It was listed at $600,000.00. 

The real estate market is just as crazy as the automobile market.
133 days on the market. No takers. All unsold homes in this market have the same problem.. The seller is asking too much and not bending. The seller isn't motivated.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS