Completed Project - Pennsylvania Tall Clock
Have you been able to get the movement in beat, and to keep it in beat?
Very nice work, thanks for posting.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(06-01-2021, 12:10 PM)Bach Wrote: Have you been able to get the movement in beat, and to keep it in beat?

I have it pretty tuned up at the moment - but it is/was a bit of a work-in-progress type of thing that requires some patience. I found it takes only VERY small adjustments to the length of the pendulum to speed up or slow down the the movement - and it worked best to make adjustments over a 24 hr period. Also, another thing I found is that the clock really needs to be level and plumb to get it the movement to work properly. Took about three days to get it "perfect".
Beautiful ! ................................
Nice work!!

I'm actually working on the same clock now and will receive my dial today from the same person that painted the one in the article. I still have that FWW issue and back then vowed to one day build that clock. So far, I have the hood completed and starting on the lower two sections.
(06-04-2021, 12:46 PM)skeeterk Wrote: Nice work!!

I'm actually working on the same clock now and will receive my dial today from the same person that painted the one in the article.  I still have that FWW issue and back then vowed to one day build that clock.   So far, I have the hood completed and starting on the lower two sections.

Cool. You completed the more complex section first – the other sections (waist and base) are fairly straight-forward case work (other than all of the darn moldings that need to be fabricated!). How did it go fitting the pivot hinges and arched glass door? I found that to be a bit tricky. Another challenge was assembling all three of the sections and insuring they were all plumb, level and straight.

Feel free to PM me if you think I can help with anything.
Very nice!
You did and excellent job building the clock.
(06-05-2021, 11:35 AM)Don_M Wrote: Cool. You completed the more complex section first – the other sections (waist and base) are fairly straight-forward case work (other than all of the darn moldings that need to be fabricated!). How did it go fitting the pivot hinges and arched glass door? I found that to be a bit tricky. Another challenge was assembling all three of the sections and insuring they were all plumb, level and straight.

Feel free to PM me if you think I can help with anything.
Sorry I travel a lot and don't always get a chance to check things here.
I haven't yet started the molding but have been studying the piece by piece stack up.  Just started fitting the arched door so the pivot hinges haven't yet been installed.  My dial has slightly different dimensions so I'm being extra careful with my layout.  My most challenging part so far has been determining how to cut the thumb nail profile. The gap between the router bearing and the cutter is wider than the 5/16" dial frame.  I learned the hard way that I should have cut that profile on the side windows before rabbetting the interior side. 
Uhoh  
Thanks for the offer on a PM.  We're see how it goes.
-David
Lovely work - thanks for sharing!

Doug
Really nice job.  My bucket list also.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.