What machine/tool/process would anyone recommended to sand rebar into smooth bars?
there are belt grinders that are like a lathe. You really just need hollow centers on each end of a sander.

A lathe with a follower rest would work.  The problem with spinning something long and thin is that it is happier bent into a deadly L-shaped thing that will cut you in half. I almost got to experience that with a length of small diameter stainless tubing that I was polishing. 

I have always been impressed by how little steel costs when purchased in 20' lengths from a steel dealer.  Depending on where you are, there might even be surplus metal dealers.  They are usually around large cities that have some level  of industrial businesses.

Steel dealers might have shorts they will sell you.
(06-04-2021, 11:49 AM)Roly Wrote: I get the feeling it is a spammer. Just sounds odd to have a 89" edge sander that you would use to grind rebar.   Roly

Roly, please help educate me. I am not disagreeing with you but am curious. What would be the purpose off a scanner like this? I do not see any links in the original post to click on. Why would someone spam like this?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Sounds like a lost cause to do that much sanding/grinding
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-07-2021, 09:27 AM)KyleD Wrote: Roly, please help educate me. I am not disagreeing with you but am curious. What would be the purpose off a scanner like this? I do not see any links in the original post to click on. Why would someone spam like this?

Place holder for a future update that includes spam.  Don't know why, but I've seen it happen here.  Just not sure how that is supposed to get around someone reporting it and a mod hitting it with a ban hammer.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-07-2021, 01:10 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Place holder for a future update that includes spam.  Don't know why, but I've seen it happen here.  Just not sure how that is supposed to get around someone reporting it and a mod hitting it with a ban hammer.

Could be, but the OP is getting the benefit of the doubt for now.

We are counting on the WN members to help us know if they come back and convert the post to spam.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Your computer and the internet.  Not trying to be obtuse here, but I would go online to some place like McMaster who carries lengths of carbon steel rod in a variety of diameters fairly inexpensive.
(06-07-2021, 09:39 PM)iclark Wrote: Could be, but the OP is getting the benefit of the doubt for now.

No doubt.  Too much detail for the usual suspects who post generic, oddly worded things that could apply to almost anything.  
Yes

As to the actual question, I have to agree that cold or hot rolled rounds will be cheaper in the long run.  But maybe he/she has a pile of rebar laying around and wants to do something with it and labor isn't the issue.  I just can't conceive sanding it smooth, though, and have no useful suggestions for how to do it.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-08-2021, 08:55 AM)TDKPE Wrote: No doubt.  Too much detail for the usual suspects who post generic, oddly worded things that could apply to almost anything.  
Yes

As to the actual question, I have to agree that cold or hot rolled rounds will be cheaper in the long run.  But maybe he/she has a pile of rebar laying around and wants to do something with it and labor isn't the issue.  I just can't conceive sanding it smooth, though, and have no useful suggestions for how to do it.

Even if that’s the case , the cost of the sandpaper and the hazardous dust to deal with will likely eclipse the cost of just buying the product needed.
Wherever you get your rebar, just askfor pencil rod. Same as regard, just smooth.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com