Built-in Design/Assembly Questions
The codes have been in my thoughts as well. I'm making it 42" to meet that. I intend to make it strong enough to meet the force spec as well. I will make the platform stronger than usual and fasten it with more fasteners than a kitchen cabinet would usually use. I tend to overbuild anyway.

There is no handrail currently on that side. It's on the other side. The current rail (guard rail) is hilariously out of spec for current codes. Since it's from 1978, the gaps in between each post are about 10". I screwed on some plastic lattice to close them up when I first moved in because I have kids who were little at the time. The end post is also currently broken and the previous owner just slapped on a couple of brackets. As usual, I will make it better than minimum.

Good reminder though as those codes have a good reason for them.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I like the design and I think your plan A is the way to go.  My only comment is you might consider making the cabinet extend beyond the top of the stairs 6 - 8" or so to force people to go straight down the stairs and not try to cut the corner, so to speak.  

John
"My only comment is you might consider making the cabinet extend beyond the top of the stairs 6 - 8" or so to force people to go straight down the stairs and not try to cut the corner, so to speak."

If I had the room, I would. The opposite wall is only 36" from the end.
You are going to lose the line of sight as you are ascending the staircase.  You might want to set up something to replicate that and see if you and your wife are comfortable losing that line of sight. 

It might not be anything.  It might make the stairwell very dark too.  Paper taped to a long rod would replicate that.  Or some large corrugated sheets. 

I would hate to have it built and then find out that you didn't like losing that sight line.  Or the loss of light going down the stairwell.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It's something we discussed. There is currently a crappy bookcase and a chair there currently, so we are currently "living it". The stairwell has a decent light above it and switches at each entrance to the stairway (front door is halfway down). I replaced the generic light with a three light pendant last year to bring the light down to the proper level.
I like your first choice and would build the frame once the cabinets are in place. That would allow you to correct for anything not properly square or level. That's how I made a wall of cabinets/shelves 17' long x 8' high. No regrets and it still looks good after 15 yrs. Good luck.