Is this necessary?
High Friction Build Polish. Anyone use it?
Jim
Yes. When I want something easy I'll make a few pens. I use the friction polish to put a shine on them. Simple to do and since I usually give them away I don't have much $ in them.

On a side note a friend's wife had pancreatic cancer. He had made a ton of pens and had them in boxes. When she got sick he would put some in his pocket and give them to the medical personnel. She got the best care you could ask for. She has since passed and he spends a lot of time making more pens. He's 85 but he has no desire to try any thing else. He uses friction polish as well and really takes care and time to do it nicely. He gives them to police and other service people including military people. Keeps him busy and not feeling lonely and doing nothing.
(06-30-2021, 01:44 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Yes. When I want something easy I'll make a few pens. I use the friction polish to put a shine on them. Simple to do and since I usually give them away I don't have much $ in them.

On a side note a friend's wife had pancreatic cancer. He had made a ton of pens and had them in boxes. When she got sick he would put some in his pocket and give them to the medical personnel. She got the best care you could ask for. She has since passed and he spends a lot of time making more pens. He's 85 but he has no desire to try any thing else. He uses friction polish as well and really takes care and time to do it nicely. He gives them to police and other service people including military people. Keeps him busy and not feeling lonely and doing nothing.

I've made a lot of pens using friction finish, made a fairly good finish,  gave most away to coworkers, venders, fedx guy, craigslist people,  a little gift goes a long way.
The high friction build finishes do a good job on wooden pens and is a _lot_ less messy than using CA for finish.

It has been a while since I made a pen/pencil. This thread has me wanting to make some.
Smile
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It works, but it's not very durable. Especially for pens which are handled every day. IMO, not necessary. I prefer a more durable finish like lacquer. CA finishes are pretty popular, but there's a learning curve to getting them right.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-02-2021, 02:52 PM)AHill Wrote: It works, but it's not very durable.  Especially for pens which are handled every day.  IMO, not necessary.  I prefer a more durable finish like lacquer.  CA finishes are pretty popular, but there's a learning curve to getting them right.
It works, but it's not very durable..

I agree...It's faster and easier, but I have not been pleased at how long it lasts..Lacquer is better but CA may be the best available...I have not tried it tho,..I just don't like putting the time in to pen making out of wood, only to have the finish deteriorate so quickly..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

CA has worked best for me. I struggled until switching to Mercury Flex which levels nicely. Switched to Glu- Boost about 150 pens ago, and find it even easier to work with. Both work best with their respective accelerator between coats. Both also have about a two year shelf life so good to not over buy. For small cracks—I float powdered metals or stone with Bob Jones Super Thin, really takes the powders to the bottom.
Earl
I usually use CA as a pen finish—it’s not too hard to learn.
When I run out, I’ll try Glue Boost. Haven’t heard anything bad about it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-30-2021, 09:18 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: High Friction Build Polish. Anyone use it?

I'm making a chalice for retiring priest which will be a gift for display purposes. I'm thinking this will be a nice finishing touch
Jim
(07-07-2021, 11:48 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I'm making a chalice for retiring priest which will be a gift for display purposes. I'm thinking this will be a nice finishing touch

Don't let the application/polishing cloth wrap around the chalice stem or around the end not in the chuck.

It is amazing how much torque that cloth can apply to the stem when it does wrap and overlap itself.
Eek
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.