Beware of MattyLims
I purchased an axe head from the username MattyLims. We had many conversations about the details of the axe head and the transaction. I transferred $76 to his account through paypal. He asked me to use the friends and family option, which I have done many times here on woodnet so I never thought anything about it. Apparently when you use the friends and family option, you lose protection over your sale. He will not respond anymore, he has taken my money and he will not refund it. He never had the axe head at all. I have tried to open a dispute with paypal but I have no idea what they will do. I'm sorry to say that I was scammed for the first time on this site. I will be more careful next time. Just beware of MattyLims.
Oh man! He tried to get me as well.. I looked at his profile and the way he was talking to me didn't add up so just ignored him...

Sorry that it happened to you..
If your PayPal draws on a credit card you can dispute with the credit card company.
Yeah, I may try that.
(07-15-2021, 02:43 PM)theoldfart Wrote: If your PayPal draws on a credit card you can dispute with the credit card company.

That's how you get to be theoldfart...by giving good advice like that.

To the OP...very sorry that happened.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Yep. Paypal has rules for a reason.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-15-2021, 02:19 PM)Koda64 Wrote: Oh man! He tried to get me as well.. I looked at his profile and the way he was talking to me didn't add up so just ignored him...

Sorry that it happened to you..

Same.  He responded to a WTB ad I put up a while back and the way talked and his recent join date sounded way too fishy.  Seems to happen more often lately.  Where they PM you regarding an item on classifieds section and they have join dates almost the same day as the post went up.
Sorry that happened. Wish we could just assume all on the internet were good people, but that's obviously not true. 

That being said, when you use PayPal F&F to pay for merchandise, you are the one who are breaking rules and scamming the processing company. PayPal allows strangers to do business and for a very small fee offers protections to both buyer and seller (not great protections - but a lot for the minimal fee). 

People asking to be paid F&F are the internet version of "Psst, come buy this, it just fell off the back of the truck." I question doing business with anyone who starts the conversation like this. 

Trust people you know. Be fair with everyone. And cheerfully pay for services you use.
This sounds similar to my dealings with MichaelAL a couple years back.  You can probably do a search on my complaint thread, it is quite lengthy.  Sorry this happened to you, but thanks for the informtion regarding Paypal's Friends and Family option.
Eric
(07-16-2021, 07:46 AM)taxman Wrote: Sorry that happened. Wish we could just assume all on the internet were good people, but that's obviously not true. 

That being said, when you use PayPal F&F to pay for merchandise, you are the one who are breaking rules and scamming the processing company. PayPal allows strangers to do business and for a very small fee offers protections to both buyer and seller (not great protections - but a lot for the minimal fee). 

People asking to be paid F&F are the internet version of "Psst, come buy this, it just fell off the back of the truck." I question doing business with anyone who starts the conversation like this. 

Trust people you know. Be fair with everyone. And cheerfully pay for services you use.

Lots of the ads on this site by people who have been around for years have used pp f&f as a pay option. I disagree with the back of the truck comparison.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11