Wood toy recommendation
Our grandson is about to turn 2 in September. I built him a Pikler Triangle, Arch (arch was fabbed as a laminated curve rather than plywood), and ramp for his 1st and looking for ideas for the upcoming birthday. 
He is an active, inquisitive and bright child (just like all of everyone's grandchildren). He rides a scooter and balances on a core-board while juggling running chainsaws, (well, almost...)
Has a current fascination with dinosaurs and trucks...
I am a only woodworking hobbiest, so a replica Gibson or Les Paul guitar is out of the question, but definitely interested in suggestions for something for this young lad.
Thanks in advance...
Brian
At that age, blocks. My oldest daughter loves spending time in her "workshop," which is just a spot (usually different every time) in my shop. It's an opportunity to teach safety - ear protection, staying away from sharp tools, keeping things unplugged when possible, and so on. That said, she once asked me to "make more" of these "super cool blocks," which were just plywood scraps. I ended up making lots of blocks of various simple sizes from both plywood and solid pine. 

The opportunity to build various things and use their imagination is priceless. And the best part is it was her idea, not mine. Building blocks used to be more of a thing - not so much any more, but both my kids (when not playing with Barbies or babies, as it were) love the building toys - wooden blocks that I made and that the grandparents bought and the stackable magnet-type. Pretty simple things. When I was a kid, I loved Construx, Lincoln Logs, Legos, you name it. Back then the toys were simple and you had to use your imagination a lot more. Now Legos mostly just have you follow a script and put together some pre-determined shape.
Great suggestion, so simple yet on point...Agree, our imaginations were forced to be engaged, as opposed to now following directions/scripts/hieroglyphics...

Thanks!
I made 2 of my grandkids marble rolls. They were fascinated by them. What inspired me was the movie Witness with Harrison Ford and the Amish kid playing with it. I made mine larger and a little more detailed (curve and small jump with a drop). 
Then I made a marble pump. The game mousetrap was the starting idea. I made a pump from and old variable speed motor off a scroll saw. Made the pulleys and used the belt off the scroll saw and had it turning a piston pump real slow. Pumped the marbles up and made various ways for the marbles to fall. Across pegs, down a vortex, hitting bells and a marble roll around the outside. Had the floor sloped to roll the marbles back to the pump. Grand daughter is 21 and still has it, still works.
Pull toys  work.
David Wakefield's "Animated Animal Toys In Wood" is a great book with fairly easy plans and great photos.  Better than some of his first books because the projects are easier and smaller.
Going through the book with the grandson first is a great time in itself.
Choose a project and go for it.  He can probably 'help' sand a little.
I like the marble slides also.

(07-21-2021, 09:45 AM)FS7 Wrote: At that age, blocks. My oldest daughter loves spending time in her "workshop," which is just a spot (usually different every time) in my shop. It's an opportunity to teach safety - ear protection, staying away from sharp tools, keeping things unplugged when possible, and so on. That said, she once asked me to "make more" of these "super cool blocks," which were just plywood scraps. I ended up making lots of blocks of various simple sizes from both plywood and solid pine. 

The opportunity to build various things and use their imagination is priceless. And the best part is it was her idea, not mine. Building blocks used to be more of a thing - not so much any more, but both my kids (when not playing with Barbies or babies, as it were) love the building toys - wooden blocks that I made and that the grandparents bought and the stackable magnet-type. Pretty simple things. When I was a kid, I loved Construx, Lincoln Logs, Legos, you name it. Back then the toys were simple and you had to use your imagination a lot more. Now Legos mostly just have you follow a script and put together some pre-determined shape.

My Grandson has spent hours playing with off-cuts and army men.
Making toys is a fun design challenge.  They are small enough that you usually don't take that long.  Also, you get to think about what makes an object really look like a car, boat or plane.  And of course they are rarely rejected by the client.

Here's some toys that I have made with information on how I made them:  https://www.mwells.org/tags/toymaking/  

Some tips:
For a 2 year-old you need to be very careful about choking hazards.  No parts or pieces that could break off should fit in a toilet paper roll.

For finish I usually just use nothing or salad bowl oil (mineral oil) so I know the finish is edible.

I found the book "Making Heirloom Toys" helpful.  I didn't actually build any of the projects, but it helped to see how he cuts and assembles all those little pieces.  The biggest thing I learned from that book is that the order of operations really matters.  Otherwise you end up with parts that are too small to machine.

If you want to make something larger, a scaled-down workbench usually goes over well.  It can be used for many things.  Here's the one I made:  https://www.mwells.org/woodworking/handt...workbench/  After a few years I raised it by making cuffs that go under the legs.

When he is a couple of years older, a nail board was always a hit.  I made these for a lot of birthday parties.  It was actually faster than going to the store.  I would take a piece of 2x material and flatten the bottom.  Then on the top I write the child's name in large letters.  I use a divider to space out holes along the letter liness and then drill little pilot holes at each divider mark.  Then I flatten the top, which removes the writing and you have the name spelled out in little holes.  Add in a small hammer and 3d common nails and the kid can spend a good amount of time hammering nails into the pilot holes.  Use 3d (1-1/4") nails so they don't poke through the other side.  

Good luck and let us know what you make.

Mark
(07-21-2021, 03:57 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: My Grandson has spent hours playing with off-cuts and army men.

This is exactly what I mean. That reminds me of my own childhood, making "swords" and "castles" from random pieces of construction scrap while we were building our house.
My grandson loves dinosaurs.  I've made him several puzzles from this book.  If you have a scroll saw, they are pretty simple and fun to make.

[Image: 81b-AdY1fSL.jpg]
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?