Starting a Project for August?
Figured a use for that stack of Ash boards....seems I have a few boxes of wayward tools...
Rolleyes 

And have been vetoed as to using this in the house...
No

Thought MAYBE I could build a Tool Chest out of the 1 x6 x 4' Ash....

12 boards = $20 for 24 bft?
Hauled a few to the shop, as The Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has decreed I need to glue up 2 panels...to make the slab sides of the chest...

Crosscut to get 6 boards 1 x 6 x 24".....and get rid of some nasty areas..
Uhoh

Split ends, HUGE knots..that sort of thing...wavy edges were next....seemed the planks had one edge that wasn't far from being straight...close enough that I could rub that edge against a rip fence...set to just skim the bad waves off the other edges..

mark the freshly sawn edge with an "X"
Rolleyes

Reset the fence by about 1/4" or less, and run the freshly sawn edge against the fence...

So, now I have 2 edges that are almost straight, and parallel....without wasting away too much width....

laid 3 boards out...seemed a bit wider than what I wanted to carry around.   2 of the 6 were a bit....knotty , rough.....reset the fence, got rid of the worse. kept the best...and now I have a filler strip..

So...next I'll need to joint the edges for a glue up....

That will be the next exciting episode

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok...glue joint needs a jointed edge...set up to do just that...
Cool

Jointer Plane?

A Stanley No. 6....seemed to work well enough...nothing fancy..Then test for any gaps..

Finding none, I worked on the other wide board a bit..then recheck...

No glue or clamps, just yet.....set up the tablesaw as an assembly/glue-up table....pipe clamps, glue, and cauls with their c clamps...

To keep the panel flat...this can sit here a day or so....allows me to work on the second panel...getting it ready for a glue up, as well

Same as before...joint the edges..check for gaps...

Joint the next glue line, and recheck 

Bring out some more clamps, some glue, and a few more cauls..

caul in the center?  Center strip was a bit out of line, used the cauls and a BIG clamp to pull it in flat.   Let this sit a day or two.....

Now have 2 panels....3/4" x 13" x 23-1/2".....will be the slab sides of the chest.....will need to free up the tablesaw, as there is a LOT of ripping to do...

Have drawer dividers to size, length, width, thickness...that sort of thing....storage compartment under the lid will need a "front" and a "back" milled.  Drawer guides need milled, as the drawers will need something to slide on.   Thinking sliding dovetails?
Confused   Need a rebate along the back edges, to house a plywood back..

Then, worry about drawers...
Uhoh

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Panels are out of the clamps, almost....may have a use for a couple of them...seems the ends need a trim..
Rolleyes  

Not quite up to doing this with a handsaw, today...maybe use a different sort of Vintage saw?

SKIL No. 520, 6" circular saw, Home Shop.    Need to set up a way to guide this along the ends of the panels, and get a nice square end..

mark the line I want to cut, measure from the blade to the edge of the saw's foot plate, and mark a second line...square to carry it across the panel, and set the rip fence to THAT second line....as long as I keep pressure against the fence while making the cut ( and do NOT slow down or stop)...

Even the thinnest strip can be sawn off, straight and square...got the first panel done on both ends..laid that panel on top of the second panel...

mark the cut lines, since it would be nice IF the two panels matched up...and repeat with the rip fence trick....much easier than doing this on my tablesaw, too.

Next, clamp the panels to the top of the bench,,

One face at a time...Millers Falls No. 15 to flatten the glue lines ( belt on the sander had been shredded by a dried glue "spike")  and then use the Millers Falls No. 9...

To turn flat into smooth....at least smooth enough to do layout work for the drawer dividers.   I can also decide which face will be the insides of the case....

next up?   3 planks needed cross cut, and drawer dividers/ webframes, drawer runners...need to be milled....some a bit more than others....width, thickness, lengths, that sort of thing.    Rip fence goes back onto the tablesaw...for now.
That will be the Next Exciting Episode...so

Stay tuned..
Guess I had better update this build.....been a  bit power tool heavy, hope nobody minds....as I would like to get this done BEFORE Labor Day Weekend.....got a BIG Runt Hunt for that weekend...

Ok...here we go...Cross cut 3 planks down to a somewhat easier size....~ 23" or so....Then ran the better looking of the mess through the tablesaw, with the rip fence set at 1-1/2" width...

Some to be made into drawer dividers, some into drawer runners....some into the burn pile...edges needed to be a bit...straighter, too..

Then, got to thinking ( dangerous, I know..) that 7/8" was a might too thick and I could get by with just 9/16" instead..reset the saw...

For some odd reason, I even kept those thin slats.....The bottom web  frame will stay at  7/8" thick....there is to be a compartment up at the top....it's front and back was ripped to 3" wide...and later they were thinned down to 3/4".....Tablesaw protesting the entire time...

Will add a 1/4" plywood bottom to that....later.  Laid out a few parts, to see how many drawers I can have....

Looks like 5 drawers, maybe?
Bottom webframe...

Will be sitting in a dado/rebate, and serve as the bottom of the tool chest..

Will need to do a few notches...and grooves......GROOVES?

Remember those thin slats I kept?   Well, the better looking of the bunch will make a panel...Frame has been notched, counter bore screws and glue to assemble the frame.....need to cut the slats for length, too.  Once I figure THAT out. 

Drawer runners will get dovetails that slide....same with the dividers out front.  Means a little router work coming up, and even a router table comes out of "retirement"

Stay tuned...
Wink 
(07-30-2021, 07:25 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Figured a use for that stack of Ash boards....seems I have a few boxes of wayward tools...
Rolleyes 

And have been vetoed as to using this in the house...
No

Thought MAYBE I could build a Tool Chest out of the 1 x6 x 4' Ash....

12 boards = $20 for 24 bft?
Hauled a few to the shop, as The Single Brain Cell Sketch Up has decreed I need to glue up 2 panels...to make the slab sides of the chest...

Crosscut to get 6 boards 1 x 6 x 24".....and get rid of some nasty areas..
Uhoh

Split ends, HUGE knots..that sort of thing...wavy edges were next....seemed the planks had one edge that wasn't far from being straight...close enough that I could rub that edge against a rip fence...set to just skim the bad waves off the other edges..

mark the freshly sawn edge with an "X"
Rolleyes

Reset the fence by about 1/4" or less, and run the freshly sawn edge against the fence...

So, now I have 2 edges that are almost straight, and parallel....without wasting away too much width....

laid 3 boards out...seemed a bit wider than what I wanted to carry around.   2 of the 6 were a bit....knotty , rough.....reset the fence, got rid of the worse. kept the best...and now I have a filler strip..

So...next I'll need to joint the edges for a glue up....

That will be the next exciting episode

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin

(08-01-2021, 06:20 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Panels are out of the clamps, almost....may have a use for a couple of them...seems the ends need a trim..
Rolleyes  

Not quite up to doing this with a handsaw, today...maybe use a different sort of Vintage saw?

SKIL No. 520, 6" circular saw, Home Shop.    Need to set up a way to guide this along the ends of the panels, and get a nice square end..

mark the line I want to cut, measure from the blade to the edge of the saw's foot plate, and mark a second line...square to carry it across the panel, and set the rip fence to THAT second line....as long as I keep pressure against the fence while making the cut ( and do NOT slow down or stop)...

Even the thinnest strip can be sawn off, straight and square...got the first panel done on both ends..laid that panel on top of the second panel...

mark the cut lines, since it would be nice IF the two panels matched up...and repeat with the rip fence trick....much easier than doing this on my tablesaw, too.

Next, clamp the panels to the top of the bench,,

One face at a time...Millers Falls No. 15 to flatten the glue lines ( belt on the sander had been shredded by a dried glue "spike")  and then use the Millers Falls No. 9...

To turn flat into smooth....at least sm employee monitoring ooth enough to do layout work for the drawer dividers.   I can also decide which face will be the insides of the case....

next up?   3 planks needed cross cut, and drawer dividers/ webframes, drawer runners...need to be milled....some a bit more than others....width, thickness, lengths, that sort of thing.    Rip fence goes back onto the tablesaw...for now.
That will be the Next Exciting Episode...so

Stay tuned..

Wow!
Cool
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough
Hmmm, getting way behind here....need to get caught up....lets see...the webframe for the bottom of the case..

Has been assembled and glued up...screws and clamps and cauls..

Next day was taken out of the clamps and cleaned up....needed a dado to house it..a few cuts on the tablesaw...then these two to remove the waste..

Needed a plane to smooth things out,level..

I think that will do.....needed a rebate along the back edge of the panels...to house the back of the case..couple of trips along the tablesaw....then the planes, again..

Plywood scrap to check for size...

Next session in the shop, began with some re-arranging going on.....needed a router table pulled out, and the tablesaw put away...for now..

Router that calls this home?   An OLD B&D all metal, 1/4" chuck clone of a DeWalt #610...right down to the depth adjuster...

Even takes the same 2 wrenches...

Fence?

Same fence I use on the tablesaw, guide the circular saw, and the routers....just 3 pieces of scrap, and a few screws....about 15 years old...I think..

Part 1....stay tuned for part 2, coming right up..
Router Table?    Well, needed a way to make dovetails that slide (pins)...

Direction of travel is towards the camera....8 drawer runners...though I had to make 2....was 2 runners short ..oops. Drawer dividers?  decided I only need the front ones ( 4)...and went with the best 4 available....one to make up for too thin of a pin...oops...
the dividers needed a "push-stick" to mill..

Standing up on end...had a pine slider and c clamp to help keep things going...dry fit?

We getting there...

Spent the day (Monday) waiting around for a new Clothes Dryer to be delivered...and Lowes never showed up...re-scheduled for Wednesday, when they will send it in a van...instead of the HUGE flatbed truck...with a forklift on the back....

Ok..2 hours on Tuesday....needed 4 sockets milled..

4 sockets, 4 set-ups...finally got those done..

These are for the front and back of the compartment at the top of the chest...needed to mill pins on the ends of those...forgot I had thinned them down to 3/4"...and NOT 9/16"...first pin was a tad narrow....corrected for the other 3...

Router done for a while...hand plane time, next...

front and back of the compartment, need a rebate to house the plywood "floor"   Stanley/Ward's 78 for that job...

Again, check for depth....

Almost there...repeat for the other one.....was getting a bit.."chippy"?

Needed a dado to support the ends of the floor....we do have just the plane for that...

Turned out, the spurs are a bit dull....

Decided to stop here, for today...had to sweep up the shop. 

Stay tuned  
Winkgrin
I also did a couple more Dry Fits...
Cool

To see how well the floor will line up.    Will need to rip an 1/8" off the front of the sides of the case....speaking of which..
Rolleyes  

Dry fit everything that has been done...so far...need to go out and BUY a sheet of 1/4" plywood.....floor , back of case, drawer bottoms...need to mill one more dado....for the floor.   need it on both ends....may deepen them as well...1/4" deep isn't quite enough...
No 

We'll see what tomorrow brings....stay tuned..
Ok....where to start....Lowes delivered the new dryer, and hauled out the old broken one...

Already seen a few loads..  I also went to Lowes..

$9.02 for a 1/4" x 24" x 48" plywood panel....meh...good enough for the back of the case, and a few drawer bottoms, right...

One of the rebates for the back...had a ledge in it's back corner, that need to be removed ( happens when you run the #78 with the spur down...follows the grain, it does)so, decided to clean THAT up..

Works better without the spur.  Clamped the two sides together...decided that since I paid almost $5 for a machine....it would be nice to see IF it worked...

As the fronts needed a bit planed off...one a bit more than the other..

Bought a WEN power planer not long ago...might as well try it out..

Then clean up with a handplane....dados next..decided to do Dado #2 first...reset the depth to 3/8"... and cut a knife wall...spurs are a bit dull right now..

Ash does not seem to like dados cut in it....gets a bit...chippy...check to see how deep we went...

Almost there...finished up #2...then worked on #1 dado....to the point I could mark a plywood panel for the bottom of the compartment...that these dados are for..

Bandsaw is cutting a bit...rough...we have ways..

Clamped into the bench vise..

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
sandpaper?  nah, we have other ways..
Winkgrin

It also removes any waviness along the edge...Test fit again, for the other dado...

Yeah, yeah...need to get rid of the burn marks....but, when you should open the lid on this tool chest...this is what you will find..

had to mallet fit one joint..oh well..
Will need to dry fit a few drawer runners and dividers...I also need to size the back panel...and have it ready for the case glue up...right now?  The parts can sit right here...

had errands to run, today...and...heaven forbid I set any of this on the new dryer's top
Rolleyes 

Stay tuned...took about an hour in the shop, today...
Cool