Starting a Project for August?
Shop is closed today...not allowed to even drive the car.   Underwent a TEE Scan this morning...and...they do knock you out....But, I now no longer have to take Blood thinners!   The Watchman is working perfectly.

Throat is a tad sore...numbness is wearing off...Still floating about...Machinery is a "NO-GO" today...

Will see how tomorrow turns out...
Winkgrin

Ash seems to have a smell all it's own when you saw, or sand it....not quite an Oak...but better than Walnut...or Maple
No

This is the Schrade Honesteel..

Apparently a "Type 2"..

Was in that Tool tote with all the pockets, and 10 pair of pliers, and the 2 piano hinges...for $2...gotta LOVE moving sales..
Winkgrin

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
back to the Tool Chest build.  

Have fitted the lid TO the case...improved the bevels.  surface mount the Piano Hinge...
Winkgrin First coat of stain applied...will need another coat, plus the inside of the lid..

2 Rosewood square plugs were trimmed flush with a sharp chisel

handles to carry this thing around with, were installed on the sides of the case...

Lockable latches were installed, plus a knob...

Waiting on this coat to dry, then see about coat #2......

Busy morning..stay tuned
Winkgrin
Laundry Detail last night...one load was quite enough.  Still sore from the trip and hard landing from cleaning the Mower Saturday evening.   Mowed the yard after the weather had cooled down a bit..found a bolt sticking out of the yard swing where the old canopy USED to go..with the side of me forehead..5/16" hole.   Used my feet to clear a long weed from the front wheel of the shut down mower...tripped up, and fell onto the ground....and, I don't "bounce" as good as I used to....Sunday morning it was a bit rough to get moving around..
No ...finally, by Sunday evening, I was moving around just well enough to haul the basket down to the washer ( and the SHOP!)

Applied a coat of shellac to the insides of the top compartment, lid and all..

Then tried to cut some drawer liner...that I thought I had enough of...

This one is done....

And the top 2 drawers, as well.....and that was all the liner I had...will need to buy a roll, to line the last 3 drawers
Uhoh 

Some have been asking how I will lock those 5 drawers....will use a third padlock, keyed just like the other 2....means I need to cobble a locking bar
Confused

Flat bar stock is the same size and length used at the top of an old Stanley Mitre Box ( like a #358).   Used a lockable hasp, the part that the padlock attaches to..

Drill 4 holes, connect them into a slot ( a cold chisel is a wonderful tool for metal work) that fits . down at the bottom...a "keeper" was cobbled up..

Will keep an eye out for a more elegant keeper...for now this works well enough..

Waiting on the dryer to get done...Tapered plug cutter to cut/burn to Rosewood plugs...there are( were) 2 counter-bored screws down at the bottom of the case,, glued the plugs into them...hammer assisted, of course
Winkgrin then trimmed flush, and a wipe of shellac.

Fun part will be hauling this thing upstairs....The spot where it will go is covered a few boxfuls...

and..

They are sitting on top of an old Walnut Coffee Table.   The power saws will go on a shelf somewhere else.  Box of hardware (hinges, knobs) will find a shelf spot, somewhere.   Not even sure what all is in there....we'll see....

Intent to add a coat or two of clear gloss poly, today...maybe ( this being a Monday
Raised )...then call it good enough, for a Tool Chest?

Liner for 3 drawers, paint the back plywood panel that is the back of the chest...black. 
Confused

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
(08-23-2021, 08:23 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Some have been asking how I will lock those 5 drawers....will use a third padlock, keyed just like the other 2....means I need to cobble a locking bar
Confused

Flat bar stock is the same size and length used at the top of an old Stanley Mitre Box ( like a #358).   Used a lockable hasp, the part that the padlock attaches to..

You might want to rethink the locking bar, as anyone with a screwdriver can defeat it by unscrewing the hasp at the top as the screws are exposed; can't tell from the pic on the bottom hasp, maybe grind the screw heads flat; but I'd consider a wider bar stock to cover the screws?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I guess traditionally, locking was a big deal.  But a tool chest that size and loaded, probably would not be leaving my shop.  Another great project Bandit; thanks for taking all the time to carry us along.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
By the time someone FINDS a screwdriver and removes a screw or 2....2 watchdogs would be biting their legs...Chest will be sitting in my Living Room...sooo, they also have to actually get IN the house, past the dogs...I have it set up this way, just in case I loose the keys...
Rolleyes
Have applied the 1st coat of Clear Gloss Poly,,,letting that sit overnight...

The 3 padlocks are in place, all take the same key...Will keep them in the Key Safe I made a while back

Stay tuned,.....
Winkgrin
I'm guessing that locking bar would be more for keeping the drawers closed IF the chest needs to be moved. As Bill said, something like that would not be traveling much if it were mine.  Don't want yahoos messing with it.

Nice work. I'll take one please..
Smile
IF you want to try to carry this thing away...bring LOTS of help....even with the drawers out, it was still a bit to "lug" it upstairs...
No

It is upstairs, and about 75% filled up.   Weighs more than I do......
Winkgrin 

Waiting on the sun to set...so I can get some glare-free pictures....south facing windows aren't much help...when facing the window
No 

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
A few better pictures?
Confused 

Full frontal?...

Open the lid....needed something to brace it open...
Winkgrin  

Goal was to be done before the Labor Day Weekend...and needed enough drawer space to clean up 2 boxes of Yard Sale "Gems", plus any more that MIGHT show up..
Rolleyes

uses 3 of these...all use the same key.

Size?   Almost 25" tall, almost 21" wide, and front to back measures out at 16"...

Might just do the trick...
Cool 

Thanks for looking in..